Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 07:47:27 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need to make thin garden cushions.

Started by Grebo, September 09, 2013, 09:42:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

Thin garden chair cushions ( tye on type )
With zippers to remove the foam for washing.
These are only 1" thick with binding. The backs are 56cm high by 47cm wide & the base is 43cm deep by 47cm at the front, they tapper down to 43 cm at the joint in the middle. Like a waist.
I am in two minds wether to make two separate cushions then join them in the middle, or have the front piece as one with the back/base pieces separate. for the zippers.
What do you recon is going to give the best finished result. I need to make 8 of them.

Ta

Suzi

Mike

September 09, 2013, 11:14:06 am #1 Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 01:29:36 pm by Mike
Iuised sunbrella. On my deck chairs. No zipper   And 2" foam. nIce thing is after a florida summer thunder storm the cushion is t all waterlogged.  Mesh back too

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/Upholstery/photo_zpsec466c3e.jpg

bobbin

Are they going to be outdoors in the blazing Spanish sun 24/7? or will they be undercover ("garden" rather indicates the former). 

Mike's idea of using mesh on the back if you opt for the zips in the back and a one pc. front is a great one.  I've used awning weight acrylic (marine canvas weight) for cushions and it's performed well for me, but I don't have the sort of sun you have in Costa del Wotsit.  I've also used the furniture weight acrylic and really like that for cushions on a porch or under a canopy. 

Use the open cell foam! it's "the balls" for outdoor work.  And it comes in 1". 

Grebo

I say Garden, but it's actually for chairs on a sun terrace.
Customer is very 'fussy' ?  Cushions will only be put out immediately before use & put away straight after.
They only visit from time to time, so they are not going to really get much use.
I am using awning weight canvas, purely because it's the colour they want ( bright yellow with white piping) !
So I think the one piece front will be the way to go then. I was just going to do canvas all round as they certainly won't be getting wet.  ::)  Not unless something gets spilt on them that is.

Thanks

Suzi