Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 03:41:46 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Slip cover question.

Started by kodydog, March 19, 2015, 06:20:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

Hey I think they look sharp!

Darren Henry

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

bobbin

They look like they fit great, Kody. 

But I wouldn't call those slipcovers.  Slipcovers are covers that mimic upholstery.  When a slipcover is put on people will sit on it! and it will need to fit nicely!  What you were tasked with making were covers that were put on "to keep crap off" the cushions. 

What you delivered was above and beyond what I'd have thought was necessary.  A "cover" needs to be nowhere as snugly fitted as a real slipcover.  True slipcovers mimic upholstery.  Covers are loosely fitted covers that can be easily put on and taken off when the furniture in questions is not in use.  BIG difference!

baileyuph

Kody,

Looks like you did exactly what the customer was after, ---well we call a cover over a boat a "boat cover, so this is a very nice "wicker cover". 

The customer's requirement was satisfied very well -- very good job Kody.

You will get more of this work, as there must be others who share the same requirement.  Though it might not be for wicker, so perhaps the future work might be generally called a "protection cover".  Don't you think those with pets and want to keep the furniture nice would go for this type of cover?

Good Job!!!

Doyle

kodydog

Thanks everyone. We took this job just to get our feet wet. We've been talking about accepting slip cover jobs for a few years now and thought this would give us a little insight. I know slip covers are more tailored then this dust cover but I think we can do them. We have turned down quite a few over the years. And we made a little $$ on this job. Looking forward to getting better at this.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

Kody:  I turned down slipcovers for years because I was freaked out by the whole "fit thing".  Then it dawned on me... if I can fit clothes for people I can sure as hell fit covers for furniture!  Nicely fitted slipcovers are right in line with reupholstery costs.  They're NOT cheaper! remember that!

I pin fit in my customer's home.  I'm a "custom service".  I show up at the appointed time, do my thing, toddle on home and do the work.  I go back to the customer's home, install the slipcover, get paid, and go home.  I charge accordingly.  I do my estimates via pictures with some basic measurements.  I know how to fit things... I can do it in one shot.  That's important. 

kodydog

Thanks for the advice Bobbin. It'll take a few jobs before I get the one shot thing. I had to go back to the sewing machine a number of times on this job. The folks I worked for did slip covers. And I got to watch the process once. He folded the fabric in half and pined out half the chair. Looked like that would be a time saver too.

I don't think I'm ready to pattern at the customers house yet but maybe someday.

gene

Being able to do slipcovers is one more thing you can offer your customers.

I just got a job to make a slip cover for a chaise lounge sort of like this one, but it has a mini type arm. I'll staple velcro around the bottom and sew velcro onto the bottom of the slip cover for a nice fit. This will be a challenge, and I'm looking forward to it.

I use a method called 'stitch in the ditch'. I use welt cord to outline each panel fabric. This is done with the fabric face up. I do all my slipcovers in my shop.

I think bobbins' method is a great way to do it also. We had a lady here in town that would go to the home and do all the cutting and pinning, then give it to a seamstress who would do the sewing, and then the lady would take it to the home and install it.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Would love to see some photos of slip covers you all have done.