Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 04, 2024, 01:30:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Toxicity in Shop?

Started by Kathy0701, May 04, 2011, 05:08:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kathy0701

Hello,

I know several of you have shop dogs, cats, etc. Mom has always brought her dogs to the shop over the years. Her dogs generally weighed in the 25-35 lb. range. Currently, she has a Schitzu (spelling?) that weighs about 10 lb. She's had this dog for about a year.

Molly started developing some health issues - runny eyes, various infections, etc. They did a blood workup last week and found her liver numbers are in the high 700's. Normal ranges from 35-177, according to Mom. They then did further tests and have determined she is being exposed to toxins...most likely at the shop. The vet thinks she is like "the bird in the coal mine."

I am trying to think what the culprit(s) might be. Hot-knifing and glue are two likely culprits. Occasionally, things like white gas & WD-40, silicone spray...I think that's about it. We are also
supposed to acquire and wear good respiratory masks.

So that got me to wondering...how do you guys handle the toxic stuff?  We can open windows in summer. Should we put in a venting system?  If we put the dog outside while working with these things, I wonder how long before it's safe to let her in again...or any of the rest of us ?  It's just a little scary!

Maybe our bigger livers can handle it, but who knows if any other organs might be affected?  Have any of you had this happen to a small dog?

Kathy

stitchm

I've been meaning to make a post about similar topics: workplace hazards.

I think silicon spray, hot knifing acrylics, nylon and polyester, spray glue and off gassing of foam are all culprits.

An exhaust fan is a good idea...maybe even a fume hood over the cutting table...but how likely are most businesses to take these steps. In some cases it is required, but still not enough in my mind. Soaking up silicon spray into the skin has always been a favourite of mine ... when I worked for someone else in large foam up situations (spraying adhesive onto foam all day) I've used a chemical mask - but at my own expense.

Howabout the co worker I had who would suck on the spray bottle containing stain guard? not so bright
smoking cigarettes after handling acrylic fabric
Howabout the employer I had who would light his cigarette off the hot knife? Yikes!  sure I guess if you figure you're going to die of lung cancer anyhow, why not?

poly vinyl chloride has been proven to be a very toxic substance.

so I haven't given up on the trade yet....but some of these things have been on my mind for some time.
By and large I try to do work with chemicals with the door and windows wide open and a fan running...but I often suffer from sinus infections - in my mind due to the acrylic and other vapors from the hot knife.

I've been trying to use the hot knife less when possible.

anyone else?

sofadoc

I think it's spelled "Shi-Tzu". I have one as a shop dog. Mine is 25lbs (they'll eat as much as you'll feed 'em).
"George" has never had any problems. My customers worry when they see him walking around over tacks, staples, razor blades, and countless other sharp objects. I just tell them "He's been doing it for 10 years".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Kathy0701

That's one big Shi-Tzu, else Molly is a small one!

I don't think we're doing anything different, so if the toxins are coming from the shop, the difference might be the size of the dog....which possibly means we've been poisoning ourselves for quite some time.

I like the exhaust fan idea. It's too bad there aren't cheap air quality detectors, like CO detectors. You never really know if what you're breathing is safe or not. I never really thought that much about it before, but this is a pretty sick little dog. They'll give her medicine to help her liver heal, special dog food, and re-test her in two months. In the meantime, I think we are going to have to take some steps to make the shop safer. I don't mind wearing a mask, but I wish I knew how long before I could safely take it off again....definitely going to have to think of some way to get that out of there.  If it's the foam, I don't even know where to begin!

gene

May 04, 2011, 07:23:10 pm #4 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 07:28:36 pm by gene
From what I understand, the toxicity in our shops today is nothing compared to what folks had years ago. My insurance guy said his company would not have insured an upholstery shop 30 years ago with so many flammable substances and other toxic chemicals. And a small shop owner is not going to have the money to properly handle these things.

Today the government has taken all the good, bad to our bodies, stuff out of products. That's why latex paint is just as good as oil based paint. Not because latex has gotten so good, but because oil base no longer has lead and other goodies that made it so good.

I am sorry to hear about your mom's dog. My dog had ACL surgery 2 months ago. We do get attached to our pets.

Does your mom's dog drink alcohol beverages a lot? That has been know to damage one's liver. Hey, I heard that they have Hospice's for dogs, why not AA? Just joking. I'm a bit peeved that my dog has better health care than me.

There are so many variables in our environment, inside and outside the shop, it's almost impossible to say this specific source caused this specific issue.

This is a great topic for anyone who cares about themselves and others.

Home Depot asks me if I'm over 18 when I buy a can of spray glue.

I open the doors when ever I can. I run a whole shop fan when it's the winter and I'm spraying glue.

I think that the dust from cutting fabric would have more of a long term health effect than anything else in my shop.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

This is a subject my wife has been exploring for several years. She had hepatitis when she was a teen so toxins are a concern of hers. Several months ago she had her blood work done and her liver levels were up. The doctor suggested the toxic conditions in the shop may be one cause. By watching her diet and being cautious around toxins her levels are now closer to normal.

Because of this we have had many discussions on how to reduce the toxins in the shop. One idea she has researched is starting a niche business aimed toward people concerned about this topic. It seems to me in the right market this would go over well.

Think about it, you recycle a customers used sofa, it's already completely off gassed, recover it with an all natural fabric, if any padding needs to be replaced use a nontoxic material and when it's delivered the customer has no worries about toxic chemicals in their reupholstered furniture. Unlike the stuff coming out of China with who knows what chemicals in it

The benefit to you is your not working with toxic materials and can charge an upgrade cost for this unique service. Check out this web site for some non toxic materials ideas
http://www.livinghomefurniture.com/services/materials

There is much more info about this topic on the internet.
I believe advertising in local health oriented magazines would draw interested customers.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Saddleman

My thoughts on the dog are since most of the solvent gases from adhesives...etc are heaiver than air they go to the floor, right where the little hound dog is spending her time. 

I have had one of these on my shop wish list.  Maybe it is time for me to get one. 

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/cart.cgi?group=3652&child=3718

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/cart.cgi?group=3652&child=3715

JuneC

May 05, 2011, 08:25:26 am #7 Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 08:29:30 am by JuneC
I know Sunbrella (and probably other solution dyed acrylics) is loaded with formaldehyde.  I used to get really bad sinus headaches when cutting Sunbrella with a hot knife indoors with the A/C on.  Now I work with it with the bay doors open and I haven't used the hot knife in probably a year.  

From the EPA (US government Environmental Protection Agency for you non-us people) website...

"Formaldehyde, a colorless, pungent-smelling gas, can cause watery eyes, burning sensations in the eyes and throat, nausea, and difficulty in breathing in some humans exposed at elevated levels (above 0.1 parts per million). High concentrations may trigger attacks in people with asthma. There is evidence that some people can develop a sensitivity to formaldehyde. It has also been shown to cause cancer in animals and may cause cancer in humans.  Health effects include eye, nose, and throat irritation; wheezing and coughing; fatigue; skin rash; severe allergic reactions. May cause cancer. May also cause other effects listed under "organic gases."  "

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

BigJohn

You might want to look into an ozone generator (see my post above) to rid your shop of any mold & mildew spores as well as many other pollutants. Read up on it, just might help! The type of machine I bought requires you to vacate while it's in use.
                                 Big John

Sunbrella

With regards to Sunbrella furniture fabrics and formaldehyde, several years ago we reformulated our furniture finish so that it no longer emits that chemical. Although independent testing has always shown Sunbrella only contained trace elements of formaldehyde, we felt it was best to remove it completely since there have been so many concerns in recent years. As you may or may not be aware, our furniture fabric is Greenguard Certified for Children and Schools. This in itself is evidence that using Sunbrella inside or outside is safe.

With regards to our awning and marine grade fabrics, those still contain trace elements of formaldehyde.
---
The Sunbrella Team

gene

Thanks JuneC for your post.

And thanks for your response, Sunbrella Team. I was surprised to read that there was ever any formaldehyde in your product. It took a bit of googling but I found the same information that you posted.

I am finding that I do more and more Sunbrella for indoor furniture in addition to outdoor. It's good to have an answer if I get any questions about this.

Also, from what I know about formaldehyde in the paper packaging industry from 20 years ago, I could not imagine any product for consumer use having anything more than a trace amount.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!