Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:20:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Converting a hide-a-bed

Started by tiredokie, April 30, 2011, 12:42:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tiredokie

I am looking for a sofa for the basement.  I have found a used one that I like but it is a hide-e-bed.  I would like to take the bed mechanism out and use the piece as just a sofa.  How would I go about adding support/springs?  Have any of you done this?

Joys Shop

Why can't you keep the bed in it and still just use it as a sofa?

Just don't open it up

sofadoc

I've made that conversion a couple of times. IMO, not worth the time and materials.
It would be easier to just find a sofa that you like, or as Joy said, use the sleeper as is.

But if you want to know:
1)  remove the sleeper mech
2) add framing to the inside walls of sofa frame
3) mount no-sag springs to the added framing
4) stabilize springs with spring-tie, or stake wire
5) add padding over springs
6) cover over padding with deck cloth

Again, this is all a lot more trouble than a used sleeper/sofa is worth.
The only 2 times I've done it was in the process of a complete re-upholstery job.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

To be blunt this makes no sense. A sofa bed is made for that a sofa is made totally different. Adding all the framing needed just doesn't make sense.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

tiredokie

Thank you for you opinions.  I was just hoping that it would be easier (down the road) to move up/down stairs to/from different rooms, if I wasn't always moving the weight of the bed mechanism inside.  Bad idea, I guess.

kodydog

Most beds are held in with just a few screws. Once these are out simply lift the sofa up off the bed and move it in two pieces. Putting it back together is a little tricky but once you get the first screws in it's not to bad. The beds that are a PITA are the old Castro Convertibles. They weigh a ton and the mechanisms are designed by rocket engineers. 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

To add to what kodydog said, if the sleeper was made in the last 20 years, it probably doesn't weigh much more than an ordinary sofa (once the mattress is removed).
Just be sure to tie the mechanism before you try to tilt it going through a door.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

I'm with Kody; Just accept that you will be moving it in manageable chunks. I had a French provincial high backed love seat with recliner mechanisms when I moved into this cave and opted to pull the guts out because I wasn't sure it would fit down the stairs and it weighed a ton. Good call ; it was 1 1/2 " too tall. It only took a few minutes to put it back together when I sold it. ;)
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!