Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 04:18:14 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Replacing Enclosure Screens

Started by regalman190, April 21, 2011, 04:53:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

regalman190

OK....I've replaced windows in enclosure panels before. But, I haven't had to replace screens yet. Made an enclosure a few years back and the client wanted no-see um screen. Now they're all torn to shreds and need them replaced with heavier screen. I really don't want to disassemble each panel.

So, I figured I could cut the new screen to size, bind the edges and sew it on to the outside of the panel.

Any other ideas out there?

Regal Canvas

DBR1957

Are these independent screens or incorporated with horseshoe zippers?

With horseshoe zipper application, cut the old screen out as clean as possible.
Clean outside of panel and lay double sided tape along Uzip outline. Lay your
new screen material down and trim along the Uzip outline. Sew 3/4" binding
along outline folding in half as you go. You're working from the out side so lay
something on your table to protect the inside face of your window vinyl. This
gives a much nicer looking finished product IMHO.

My preferred screen material anymore is the Phifertex mesh or Textilene. It's
much more durable.

wind_rose_2

Not too dificult ..I've done lots of those..trim off the selvedge of the old screen right close to the thread..if it has two lengths of stitching use your thread ripper to remove the outermost..you want to keep the shape of the opening with the old screen...lay it out flat on your bench and lay out the new screen on top of the old,on the inside so it is overlapping (larger) than the old one...staple it in place. then stitch a line on the new screen just outside the old where you had trimmed the selvedge off.
You now have two screens sewn on..flip it over and cut the old screen stitches and remove the old screen...now you can clean up the stitching if required on the new screen...easier than it sounds.
Dave

Mike8560

I'd have to see how the old screens wee done   Ill usualy have a square window on a camper panel with a u zipper on the vinyl but my screen is the full square of the window not just over the u zipper n
a easy way to replace it without oppening the stitch and inserting the screen is to cut off the old then sew onto the outside new screen keeping it square is kinda difficult  an then trim it close to the stitch all
around the square of the window. Then lay your 3/4"
binding over the screen edge and sew bolth side of it to me this would look better then cutting the screen square.  Binding the edge and then sewing it on the outside.  It would lookjust tack on the outside afterwards 

regalman190

Thanks for the suggestions.

The screens are over the entire window and the u-zipper is in the middle of that window.

Mike...I like your idea about sewing a new screen on and then adding 3/4" binding around it.

I also was concerned that the bound edges might look just like you said....tacked on.

Thanks
Regal Canvas

jsquail

Quote from: regalman190 on April 22, 2011, 04:44:27 am
Thanks for the suggestions.

The screens are over the entire window and the u-zipper is in the middle of that window.

Mike...I like your idea about sewing a new screen on and then adding 3/4" binding around it.

I also was concerned that the bound edges might look just like you said....tacked on.

Thanks

The last set i did was done just like Mike says. However, I used Petscreen from Home Depot. It appears to be stronger than the normal screen.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

DBR1957

Keep in mind if you sew to the outside of the existing opening, then sew binding
on top you're stiffening the border edges. This will eliminate any give you might
need when installing the panel. That's one reason I like to just sew the new screen
around the border of the Uzip.  Plus it's a much cleaner look and makes it easier to
clean the clear outside of the Uzip area.

Of course I'm speaking from the Mid-Atlantic perspective where our window vinyl draws up in the cool weather. You Florida guys might not have this problem.

Mike8560

When I started in new hapmshire most screen panels on camper backs were done like this that insaw a full panel of screen  not following the u zipper. It's usesly oy cutting the corners and the. Full to the sides. In most casses. 

I k kw what. You meen on the shrinking. Though
I had a 24' formula both Bimini and enclosure  I uncovered ot one march to set it out for sale and put the top
up and found the windows that were stored in the cuddy were about 5" short of reaching the last snap. I had to do ine then let the sun get to it and get another each day to vet the last few.