Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 08:41:06 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Button Tufting

Started by Chuck D, February 06, 2011, 09:08:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck D

When I learned to upholster (more years ago than I want to admit) Dad always did al the tufting jobs so, I never really learned much about it. Now I'm getting requests for them I need to learn. Know any good resources out there that I can tap into? I'm sure I should be charging more for this also but, how much more? Appreciate any guidance you guys and gals can offer.

MinUph

There is an up charge for hand tufting. I get Standard labor + $1.50 per button for the tufting. There are several things to consider when tufting here are a few.
Start with a straight horizontal line. You can chalk it to the backing of the fabric. Start from center and work out doing the bottom row first.
  Make sure you keep the vertical weave straight when doing the next row. In other words row two is straight up from the center line of the buttons in row one.
  Make sure all folds are folded down. This is the way its done and will help with both looks and dust collection.

I would say to just go for it and try it. You know fabrics, and how they lay. Take a board, put 1: of foam on it lay out the button holes on the foam. I cut them out with 1/4" or so hole saw. Put a layer of cotton over this and tear out the holes as neatly as possible. Start like step 1 above and just do it. You can use nail buttons, tacks, staples etc to put where the buttons will go. On a wood piece you will need to use tack back buttons for the finishing. Or for practice just use tacks or staples. They will give you the practice you need.
  Use a cotton velvet or some other nice soft fabric to practice with.

If you have any questions ask away. It really isn't as hard as it looks once you get the hang of it. Don't be afraid to try it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Chuck D

Thanks Paul, if I ever get a moment to breathe I'll practice.

kodydog

I agree with Paul. take your time and have a lot of patience. If the previous job looks good you can use it to measure the distance between the buttons. If not you will have to measure the space between the holes and transfer it to your pattern.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

kodydog

I'm sure you already started your project but this question comes up often. Here's a page where someone goes over the basics of button tufting.
http://upholsteryjournalmag.com/articles/0311_ht_tufting_techniques.html
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html