Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 02:02:19 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

First T ? top.

Started by Grebo, April 13, 2011, 07:16:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

Help.
I am going to see my very first T top job tomorrow.
Come on guys & girls How do I attack this ?  You do these all the time right.
It's on a volvo ocean race rib, could be another 4 to go with it  :-X
???

Suzi

Mike8560

Some t tops have a single ring so the canvS top is just a single flat a e od fabric.  Some t tops are a two ring a d the canvas turns over the too ring a d comes down to the second ring were itaces to it there Re seams in   here to achieve the 2 planes of fabric.
Tmw  pic and we can  help you beter.   

fragged8

depending on the type of t top Suzi
look on my server there is a vid on t tops.

not the flat type though

Rich

JuneC

Love 'em.  Super easy.  You'll breeze right through.  8)  But... have your "grommet arm" ready for a workout.  Lots of t-tops take anywhere from 150 to 250 grommets. 

Hint:  When installing, use wire wraps/cable ties to position and tension the t-top and hold the whole lot in position while you lace it to the frame.  Lacing.... now that's another topic altogether.  :'(

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

ncydmn

T-Tops....glass panels you remove from the roof of your car.  Dawng, us car guys think a little different.  I was wondering how one would cover them myself, and why?  Guess I am still wondering.   ;D

Mike8560

here is a single ring t top

and here is a double ring never mind the rear shade

their in the shape a T nycdm
i cut 4" strip and fold then in half and bind them around the edge then stitch the other edge dowwn now i have 3 layers of sunbrella to supprt my spur grommets i space tem 4"  and less on the corners

i had a diagram how i lace them somwhere ill loook 4 it

Grebo

Quote from: ncydmn on April 13, 2011, 06:33:23 pm
T-Tops....glass panels you remove from the roof of your car.  Dawng, us car guys think a little different.  I was wondering how one would cover them myself, and why?  Guess I am still wondering.   ;D

:-[ Sorry abut that...  :D

Thanks, I knew I could reply on you guys/girls  :-*
See I never thought of single or double ring  ???  Thanks Mike,

Thanks June,  :o  that's a lot of grommets, is there an optimum spacing ?   
Get you a piccy soon as they have flipped the thing over the right way  :P

Thanks Rich, will have a look.

Suzi

jsquail

this is great. I just ordered materials for my first T-top job too. Im doing a double ring T-top. its about 6x8 in size.

This is great information!!

I ordered seamark fabric for the job. looks like i will be doing over 100 grommets......ouch.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

scarab29

Doing one right now for a contender about the same size. Like mike !!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

jsquail

are there any secrets to the radio antenna besides cutting it and resoldering the end?

any tensioning secrets when lacing the rope in?

Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Mike8560

April 14, 2011, 11:06:22 am #10 Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:20:22 pm by Mike8560
When I get on my home pc I'll look for the diagram I made.  I cut off 3 times thee gtg of the frame find the middle of the line and start Laci g from the fro t center.
Go

down one hole over the pipe and out  around the pipe and back up the same hole over to the next hole Down. And out over the pipe around  the pipe and back up the same hole      Repete.
I rember  down and out as in Beverly bills  the movie  

i phone typo edited and pic

fragged8

hey Mike, you either need a bigger IPhone or smaller fingers hehehe..

I'm liking this thread, I don't expect i'll ever see a proper T top where I am
but love the info.

Rich

Grebo

Thanks Mike, they haven't flipped the rib other yet, so I still haven't seem it  ::)

Suzi

Mike8560

What do tou meenipped ot over.  Is it capsized with the t top 

DBR1957

Quote from: Mike8560 on April 14, 2011, 11:06:22 am
When I get on my home pc I'll look for the diagram I made.  I cut off 3 times thee gtg of the frame find the middle of the line and start Laci g from the fro t center.
Go

down one hole over the pipe and out  around the pipe and back up the same hole over to the next hole Down. And out over the pipe around  the pipe and back up the same hole      Repete.
I rember  down and out as in Beverly bills  the movie  

i phone typo edited and pic

I typically lace the same way but when I bring the rope up back through I go behind the previous pass. It will lock itself in that way.