Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:40:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

AutoZone - let the buyer beware

Started by gene, April 06, 2011, 01:47:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

April 06, 2011, 01:47:15 pm Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:49:41 pm by gene
This is not upholstery related but many folks on here work with autos all the time, both upholstery and repair.

I bought some brake parts from AutoZone. I got in the car and looked at the receipt. They had sold me some items that I did not ask for and that they did not mention. They just put them in the bag and charged me for them.
I went in to get my money back. They told me that the computer automatically adds items to the receipt and sometimes the clerk forgets to mention it. He certainly remembers to put the items in the bag.

2 years ago the Postal service increased revenue by millions of dollars by taking the 3rd class postage rate off the computer screens at the post office. When you ask, "What's the cheapest rate to send this book", they look at the computer screen and tell you the cheapest rate on the screen. You will get the 3rd class rate if you ask for it, it's just not on the computer screen. Many postal workers complained to their union about this which is why it got into the news.

I watched over the last few years as my Verizon bill increased every month or so by a penny. They were recently sued for stealing money. There was no reason for these pennies other than it was free revenue for them. The last I heard the attorneys were seeking class action status.

I sent an email to Autozone asking them how they expect not to be sued from what they are doing. It seems to me that if you take my money without me knowing it, or through an act of deceit, even if you give me something in return, that is still theft. How about class action for the civil suit and Rico specifications for the criminal complaint?

Who would have thought "Let the buyer beware!" even with Autozone.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on April 06, 2011, 01:47:15 pm
They told me that the computer automatically adds items to the receipt and sometimes the clerk forgets to mention it. He certainly remembers to put the items in the bag.

Were the extra items at least brake related?
I have a friend who worked marketing for Ford Motor Co. Several years ago, they sent out "Complimentry" folding canvas chairs to people who bought a new Ford.  My friend said that they tacked about $400 onto the price of the vehicle to cover the $20 chairs they mailed out. GENIUS! Not only did they get you to drastically over-pay for some crappy chairs that you didn't even want, they made you think that they were doing YOU a favor.
I think I'm gonna' start tacking on a "Master Undercoating" fee on all the furniture. :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SHHR

That's a lot like when buying an appliance or an electronic item and you have to stand there and argue with the clerk for ten minutes that you DO NOT want to purchase the extended warranty. I told a clerk at sears a few years ago to cancel the sales on the washing machine he was selling me. When he asked why, I told him that because if that machine that I'm about to drop $500 on is that big of a piece of crap that I need to purchase and extra $150 repair agreement, they can keep it.
Kyle

sofadoc

Some friends of mine recently went furniture shopping. I told them to refuse the extra fabric protection package. The salesman was relentless in trying to convince them that they were making a HUGE mistake. But they still refused. Finally, he told them that he just couldn't stand by and let them make such a mistake, so he GAVE them the fabric protection at NO cost.
This tells me that there really is no fabric protection (just an extra fee).

BigJohn

Speaking of Sears compare the price of an extended warranty at Sears to Sams Club or Wal-Mart, Hundreds of dollars cheaper at Sams or Walmart! I recently had a Sears repair call and they wanted $206.00 to wrap a piece of silver solder wire around the defrost heater and dangle it down the drain tube to prevent the repeated freeze ups I've experienced over the past 5 years I've owned the refrig. Shouldn't a design flaw that causes repeated problems be corrected with a recall? By the way the refrig. was already opened up for the $79 estimate/ trip charge and the work would have taken only 2 to 5 extra min. in my estimation, I said no to the repair and I'll do it myself later!

SHHR

Quote from: sofadoc on April 06, 2011, 06:20:06 pm
Some friends of mine recently went furniture shopping. I told them to refuse the extra fabric protection package. The salesman was relentless in trying to convince them that they were making a HUGE mistake. But they still refused. Finally, he told them that he just couldn't stand by and let them make such a mistake, so he GAVE them the fabric protection at NO cost.
This tells me that there really is no fabric protection (just an extra fee).

I remember several years ago my Brother-in-law bought a new living room suit and the store really pushed the fabric protection. He agreed since at the time he had younger kids and his wife babysit too, so he figured with all of the spills the furniture may encounter it would be worth it. A short time later something mechanical happened to one of the recliners and after calling the store where he purchased it for warranty repairs he was declined since the fabric protection was not part of the furniture from the factory.
Kyle

lamx

QuoteWhen he asked why, I told him that because if that machine that I'm about to drop $500 on is that big of a piece of crap that I need to purchase and extra $150 repair agreement, they can keep it.

When a salesman tries to sell me an extended warranty, I just tell them that I have more confidence in the item they are selling than they do and I expect it to last the two years without needing repair.  None so far have tried to argue with that.

Ed

forsailbyowner

Ive made out well with the extended warranty on computers. I havent had one yet make it two years in the salt environment. The boards corrode away a little after a year. PS i liveaboard

CKKC

April 07, 2011, 01:30:44 pm #8 Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:32:40 pm by CKKC
Quote from: gene on April 06, 2011, 01:47:15 pm
I bought some brake parts from AutoZone. I got in the car and looked at the receipt. They had sold me some items that I did not ask for and that they did not mention. They just put them in the bag and charged me for them.
I went in to get my money back. They told me that the computer automatically adds items to the receipt and sometimes the clerk forgets to mention it. He certainly remembers to put the items in the bag.

gene

Were the extra parts necessary to install the brakes? 

We bought a power steering pump from AutoZone and we found that the item in the box was used!

scarab29

I do charge a shop fee for every install in my shop. I AM up front about it though. I have to cover the hardware and connectors , tape , and general shop supplies.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

BigJohn

Scarab29:
     I have no problem with that, people should pay for what they get. My exception to what I just said is when auto repair shops add "sub parts" as it's called in my area at a set percentage of the bill to cover things like shop rags, carb cleaner, Brake clean, cotter pins, grease, and ect. and then itemize these things and charge for them on the bill as well. To add insult to injury you pay for a whole can of for example carb cleaner when only a squirt or two was used from the same can used on the last guys car!

ragtacker

A couple of times Sears lost money on their extended warranty:  We got one on the house vacuum cleaner, and twice, a "helper" managed to trash it, and Sears had to fix it and eat the cost.

sofadoc

Quote from: SHHR on April 06, 2011, 07:02:18 pm
A short time later something mechanical happened to one of the recliners and after calling the store where he purchased it for warranty repairs he was declined since the fabric protection was not part of the furniture from the factory.

It takes a Philadelphia lawyer to decipher all the fine print in those fabric protection plans.
A friend of mine bought new furniture at a local store. He also got the extended warranty/fabric protection plan. He said to me "If ANYTHING happens to my sofa, they'll repair, or replace it for free"
I asked him to show me where it said that in writing. It said nothing of the sort. There were so many exclusions, that it wasn't even funny.