Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:07:01 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

"Please" Give Me Your Advice!!! (Bench Top Finish)

Started by stitchit, April 02, 2011, 07:00:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

We call my shop "the NASA clean room", Stitchit.  When it's dark outside the place glows and looks like the space ship in "Close Encounters".  :)  It's hard to miss it when I forget to turn off the lights, lol.  I  am thrilled with the energy efficiency of my shop's lighting.  I don't usually need to use all 3 banks at once and the lighting is excellent with no shadows or "dark spots".  Interestingly, the electrician told me I "didn't need all those lights", but the total is what my research showed was considered correct for the application. 

Using biscuits to join widths is an excellent idea!  We simply cut basic sheets to side and applied them to the bases, so my tables are 48" x 96" and on casters.  I have 5 of them, and 2 or those have a drop down leaf that is 24" x 96" and supported by fold down legs.  They don't line up perfectly with each other however, but for my purposes that isn't critical, mobility is.  The biggest discrepancy is a scant 1/4" and I can deal with that. 

You will never regret spending time and money on good tabling.  Smart use of money!

Mike8560

I our in a work shop
at my home I havnt finninshed it all yet but I sulating rhe building I used foam board with a foil Finnish the ligh reflexs great. 

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/photo-93.jpg

byhammerandhand

I'm late to this party, but you have at least three options for edge-banding:

1. Iron on edge banding, available in white melamine.

2. Plastic T-molding, pressed into a slot cut with a router.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1181

3. Solid wood edging, glued onto the edge and eased
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison