Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2024, 11:49:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

This is what makes ME crazy!!

Started by sofadoc, March 27, 2011, 07:06:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

In Maine there is both a Sales Tax on materials and a Service Provider Tax.  Both are 5% (mercifully).  But, if you are simply repairing something and no new materials are involved in the repair (alterations) there is no tax. 

Like June and Sofa. I insist on a resale certificate if my work is for someone who will be "passing it along". 

SteveMoke

In the UK we have VAT = value added tax which has recently risen from 17.5% to 20%

Way it works is if your turnover hits £72.000 a year, then you have to register with the tax robbers to be VAT registered, this means that on any invoiced work (actual material & labour costs) 20% is then added to the bill. VAT is charged by just about all the suppliers because they are more likely to turnover 72 grand a year. The good thing is if your registered, then you are able to reclaim all the VAT that you have paid OUT back, but still pay the 20% YOU HAVE BEEN PAYED, the down side is if you are not registered, then you have to pay out the 20% (to suppliers) but can't claim it back but also you don't have to charge it.

That's just a rough guide to our VAT system, theres a whole lot more to it, hence if I can get paid in pound notes (dollar bills) then it gives me more options when I buy from a supplier  ;)

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on March 28, 2011, 03:26:06 pm
I was just wondering the other day if anyone here charges tax so thanks for asking the question.
What do you say gang ? Do you charge tax ?

No, I do NOT "charge" tax. Neither does June, Keith, Bobbin, or anyone else here.
We merely "collect" it. ;D
I had a customer complain to me once about the outrageous sales tax that I had "charged" her.
I explained to her, that her beef was not with me. She should bang on the door of the Governor's mansion, and demand satisfaction.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban