Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 09:15:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Punching grommets through webbing.

Started by Grebo, March 15, 2011, 10:17:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

DBR what do you use ro cut the hole?   I've got  a had tool that punched the hole and it a bear to cut iwebbing. June I've found latly that self piercing don't cut? A d also no self piercing spur only the gromett is different as far as I cs. Tell so I winder why.  I space mi e about 4" on q t top q d install about 75 I hate using my bench press the arm really get tired   

forsailbyowner

Hey June I got self piercing spur grommets from miami Mike. They work in the same press mike8560 pictured

Quote from: JuneC on March 22, 2011, 04:18:34 pm
A single t-top can take hundreds of grommets.

http://www.centuryboats.com/images/uploads/boats/2102IS-ttop.jpg

I have a floor-standing, foot operated, Stimpson.  Unfortunately, I don't have self-piercing dies for it so holes must be cut first.  I have yet to find self-piercing grommets with spur washers anyway.  No idea why the two concepts can't be combined.  You can either get self-piercing, or spur, but never have found both in a single grommet. 

June

DBR1957

Mike8560 - I just use the Osbourne punch. If you're punching a hole just through
webbing it is a pain because the loose weave of the webbing allows it to conform
to the end of the punch. But if the webbing is sewn to fabric, put the fabric side down and it will "stiffen" the webbing and punching the hole is no problem. If you punch the fabric side first the webbing will distort.

It works for me anyway. I'm typically sewing the webbing to Sunbrella or vinyl.

Mike8560

Thanks for the info forsale. I've got spurs from miami.
I'll have to check the part number to see if theese were selfpiercing ?
You don't ha e the # do you ?