Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 03:39:44 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

JUKI

Started by iamhere, March 14, 2011, 10:04:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

iamhere

Can I use pre wound bobbins with this machine JUKI DL 555?  I haven't been able to get it to work, is there an adjustment to make to  make it work?

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Correct pre wound bobbin size for Juki DDL-555 is "L".

Not sure if this answers your question or not, but if the pre wound bobbin does not work, always wind your own metal bobbin to see if the pre wound bobbin is giving you sewing issues. 

Yoy may have to adjust the bobbin case tension, maybe not.  Consult the owners manual for doing this.

iamhere

Where would I find pre wond bobbin size L.  I believe I have G now which isn't working at all, and I havent adjusted the bobbin tension yet, being a newbie.

jsquail

marine can be found here or from many other canvas suppliers:

http://www.sailrite.com/Hembob-V-92-Style-L-Bobbin-White-Polyester-UV-20-Yds

You might try Miami corp for other types of thread or even the marine L bobbins I would think they would have them too. I just grabbed the sailrite link cause it was easy.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

iamhere

Thanks I can use all the information I can get from anyone who can help.

UpState

I have the Juki LU-562/563 manual on pdf, different model..but maybe the mechanics might be simliar?
If you want a copy send me a PM with your email address.

Ed

sofadoc

Quote from: UpState on March 23, 2011, 05:04:59 am
I have the Juki LU-562/563 manual on pdf, different model..but maybe the mechanics might be simliar?

The 562/563 are walking foot machines. The DDL 555 isn't.
iamhere: What kind of work are you trying to do with this machine?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

March 24, 2011, 08:10:45 am #7 Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:13:45 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: sofadoc on March 23, 2011, 06:52:54 pm
What kind of work are you trying to do with this machine?

The wrong kind, and he is going to struggle.  This is why I've been staying clear here.

DDL-555 at best can sew a few layers of Sunbrella with up to V69 thread.  Drop feed is not up to medium~through medium heavy canvas work.  Next people are going to ask why a machine designed for dry cleaner/tailoring/alterations of clothing like the DDL-555 can't do the work without simply putting into it a bigger needle.  Kind of like asking why I can't enter a Honda Civic into a Baja 500 race.  Sure you can do it, but I wouldn't recommend it.  But people are going to do it anyway, and find out later that they needed a different machine along the way.    

Upstate; Kind thoughts and sentiments, but I can't think of a single part, except maybe a few screws, that match between DDL-555 and LU-562/3.  

iamhere

I am working on recovering furniture. The machine was given to me for this purpose for the college. I just don't know what it can do yet. I had it "kinda serviced"  now I have a big project and no prewound bobbins in the right size, weight.  Been searching the web. Working with only two bobbins now, tension is all wrong every time I try to work with it.  :(
Thanks for the information on the machine.

Gregg; Thanks for letting me know what it will or will not do.

Upstate;Tthanks for the down load on the manual, nice to know there are willing to help people out there.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: iamhere on March 30, 2011, 01:32:46 pm
I am working on recovering furniture. The machine was given to me for this purpose for the college. I just don't know what it can do yet. I had it "kinda serviced"  now I have a big project and no prewound bobbins in the right size, weight.  Been searching the web. Working with only two bobbins now, tension is all wrong every time I try to work with it.  :(

Upstate;Tthanks for the down load on the manual, nice to know there are willing to help people out there.

Feel free to call me, my contact info. is in my profile.  I understand your situation very well.

hdflame

Quote from: iamhere on March 30, 2011, 01:32:46 pm

Just wanted to give you a heads up...You can trust Greggs advice on machines, he won't steer you wrong!  I bought my machine from him.  If you are trying to do upholstery without a compound feed, you are going to constantly fight to get even marginal results.  I got rid of one similar for that very reason.

Even if you got your machine for FREE, it makes no difference if it's not designed to do upholstery work.  If you want something that will work and do you a good job, call Gregg.  Sell your machine and get a reconditioned or new machine from him that will do what you want.

I know this is probably not what you were wanting to hear, but you'll pull your hair out trying to upholster without a compound feed, especially if you're just getting started.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

jsquail

Quote from: hdflame on April 02, 2011, 09:27:12 pm
  If you are trying to do upholstery without a compound feed, you are going to constantly fight to get even marginal results.  I got rid of one similar for that very reason.

I can attest that this is 100% truth. I just recently upgraded from a Yamata FY8500 to a Consew 206rb5. To my astonishment the results were incredible. It makes sewing upholstery or canvas a walk in the park.  The compound feed is worth every penny.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Mike8560

My juki will use U M Or my singers smaller G bobbins