Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:21:23 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need some boat seat advice??

Started by hdflame, March 12, 2011, 08:24:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hdflame

I went out to the shop and got my Porter Cable staple guns out.  I have an 18 gauge 1/4" narrow crown stapler with some 5/8" Galv staples. 

I'm going to run up to Lowe's and see if they have any SS staples to fit it.

I don't remember what the Bea 71 series stapler is Gauge size, I think it's something like 20 or 22.  I know it's a much smaller diameter than the 18 gauge.  Even though it's only a 1/4" crown, I think the heavier gauge will hold better.  It actually looks very similar to the heavier staples used originally. 

I guess the only thing with the 1/4", is I'm not grabbing as wider piece of vinyl, so it may pull through easier??  Your thoughts?  Do I need to invest in a 1/2" for marine and plastic seat frames or just go get some SS staples for my 1/4" crown.  If I can't get any SS staples from Lowe's, I think I'll just use the Galv. for the hard to hold areas...I really need to get this finished so he can go fishing this weekend!

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

hdflame

Well, I got the seat cover installed.  Not too bad for my first boat seat.  It was some good practice doing patchwork quilting! ;D

I made a few mistakes here and there but the untrained eye would have to look for them...which now comes to you guys!  Tell me what you think and I'm always open to suggestions on how to make it better next time.  I used a lot of staples, cause I didn't want it coming loose.  I'm hoping that the wrinkles will mostly come out after a couple of days in the sun.  Boy, is it hard to get them ALL out!

The first pics are the extra staples I used! :o  I used SS staples everywhere except for the ends of the welt, I added some galvanized 1/4" X 5/8" just for some extra hold.

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

hdflame

BTW, I found 2,500 SS staples for $17.99.  Not too bad.  That's cheaper than buying another stapler right now. ::)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290496365763&category=109493&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_1462wt_905

I'll look for a 1/2" crown later, I'd really like to have a long nose 71 first.
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Mike8560

looks great bobby do you have a heat g un? i could take thoose little wrinkle out on the seat back . if nit the sun will in time gret job thoose are your first deat? how muc time did you have?

hdflame

Thanks Mike.  I used a heat gun on it a little, but I was scared about getting it too hot.  I'll try it a little more.  Any suggestions on technique using it?

I really didn't have that much time in actual work.  I'd work a little and think a little.  I think the next one will go much quicker.  I'm starting to figure out that it's not like rocket science, but there are some little tricks to making it easier.  Thanks to everyone on here, without you guys it would be a LOT harder! ;D

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Mike8560

I hold my hand on the work so rhe heat gun hit nt hand also to not get too hot.

Mike8560

Bob y I see this is old but how did it turn out
you said the staples wernt gold
were they pulling out of the plastic or was the vinyl pulling though the staple?