Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 10:19:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

new guy question

Started by drem312, March 12, 2011, 04:35:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

drem312

March 12, 2011, 04:35:29 am Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:05:53 am by drem312
dont know if this is a second post from me it said error so I will try this again Hi Im from the east coast NH actually and trying to do a few projects. I started doing some coaming bolsters for my boat I think Im all set with that seems easy enough and my wifes home machine is handling the thread ok,,I just picked up this industrial Tacsew sewing machine  T622R in really nice shape its not a walking foot just a fast straight stitch machine,, is was pretty cheap on CL so I bought it anyway I was going to attempt to replace my bimini top with new Sunbrella and then add some windows to the fron and side just to keep the ocean spary out of my non exsisitant hair on my head.my question is will I be able to do this job without a walking foot machine? I have an old 25ft fiberglass Christ Craft boat that Im redoing and the price I got up here was 2800 for the enclosure so I figured hell buy a machinie do something yourself....second question   I have no manual for this machine and although its spits the vinyl out with ease i cant get the needle to loop around around and bring up the thread from the bobbin I dont even know if its threaded right  but both threads are on the deck when I start to sew  but no stitch any ideas?

MinUph

Sounds like a timing issue. I'm sure Greg or others will jump in the help soon. Welcome aboard.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

I am going to side with Paul on this one - Timing issue. The machine will need to be re-timed and if your handy with tools and have some mechanical knowledge you should be able to do it yourself. I would go straight to the timing first and check to see if if it off. If it is dead on then it could be your hook is off and for that I will leave for Greg.

You maybe able to find a manual for your machine online in PDF format. If not then maybe Greg will know where to get one.

I myself am not familiar with the Tacsew.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

Chris

JuneC

Can you open the top plate, turn the flywheel by hand slowly and see what's happening?  Is the needle all the way down when the hook tip is just in front of the needle?  Is it even close? 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

drem312

I just removed the  front side plate and did notice one thing the foot has a long arm up to the top with an adjustment screw I loosen that up and it helped pushing the material through it was way too tight  but I still cant seem to get the needle  and hook to  exchange the thread it could be the way I have the thread in the bobbin there is a tiny spring on the very top and off to one side of the bobbin case I think after I pull the thread thru the the tension it goes through this spring and up and out ,,, now one strange thing is the needles at the top are round no flat one side so i dont know which way the needle should face

drem312

timing ??? I wouldnt even know where to start   but one good thing the last owner did say he found the manual and was sending it to me    that I hope will help

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Don't know where to begin here.  This is akin to entering a '97 Honda Civic into a Baja 500 race; it's simply not equipped or suited for canvas work.  The Tacsew you mention is best for fine threads and materials, placed into dry cleaners, tailors, and alteration shops.  Up to denim material. 

On its best day, you can do up to a V69 thread, a few layers of canvas or Sunbrella, with say an 18 or 20 needle. 

The sewing mechanism will not handle a V92 or above, and the feed mechanism will be limited for this kind of work.  This could be your issue right here. 

drem312

Have you seen one of  these? its a beast of power..My wifes kenmore home machine goes through the 32 oz of viynl no problem its just seems so hard to believe it cant sew a stright stitch into some vinyl but even so I cant get the two to meet and grab the thread fine or not

drem312

March 13, 2011, 06:20:25 am #8 Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:38:26 am by drem312
well  I it open to see what was going onone thing the needle wasnt placed in 100 percent so I rotated it and now the hook starts to pick it up then as I slowly turn it by hand it binds and then  looks  like   the hook half way around cuts the thread..a  nice clean cut to....so now what any ideas?

scottymc

Quote from: drem312 on March 13, 2011, 05:00:47 am
Have you seen one of  these? its a beast of power..My wifes kenmore home machine goes through the 32 oz of viynl no problem its just seems so hard to believe it cant sew a stright stitch into some vinyl but even so I cant get the two to meet and grab the thread fine or not

Mate, if this is a response to what Gregg  said your barking up the wrong tree. He  is probably the only one that has responded that has seen the machine.

Mojo

Quote from: drem312 on March 13, 2011, 05:00:47 am

Gregg isn't an upholsterer. He is a machine tech. He works on sewing machines for a living and I am sure he has seen almost every machine ever made in the last 20 years. :)

I have seen a tacsew before but am not familiar with them. I do know if Greg says your machine is not suited to this kind of work then that is a good time to start thinking of buying another machine. :)

Chris

drem312

well ok then....that I will ,,,, I dont know Greg first time here  but it seems he is the almighty so I will take the advice ,,,damn anyone want a nice old tacsew   I tried to follow all the directions on posting a pic but it just wont let me even when I resize it like it suggested ....

Mike8560

i thing member Shaggydoo on here has a tcsew if you lok him up in the members list you could pm nim maybe her can help .

i got to say  though this is why the shops  get what we get.

jsquail

Gregg is the gospel when it comes to machines.

If you want to do canvas for your boat, my advice, buy a compound feed machine and use it.  When your done sell it and recoup  some of your money. I did my first year of canvas work on a straight stitch non-walking foot machine. It can be done, but it's not fun

Compound walking foot machines FTW!
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Mojo

Quote from: drem312 on March 13, 2011, 05:18:46 pm
well ok then....that I will ,,,, I dont know Greg first time here  but it seems he is the almighty so I will take the advice ,,,

Oh geeeezz..... We have been spending months trying to make Greg understand that he is not the almighty and then someone goes and starts it all over again. We will be months trying to shrink his head again.

Just remember Greg we are stitchers and your a machine dealer. That puts you several rungs below us and just a few below lawyers and insurance companies. .......lol............:)

Chris