Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 05:38:35 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help With a Singer 111w155 Safety Clutch

Started by jojo, March 01, 2011, 01:14:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi guys,
I tripped the safety clutch thing, and to get it right you're supposed to push the button on the bed (the one on the right) and turn the handwheel away from you until the lever goes back into the notch. Except when I try to turn the handwheel with the button pushed it won't budge. How can I do this manually?
I can see what's supposed to happen, I just don't know what screw (or screws) to loosen to get it done.
Can anyone help? Much appreciation for your time and effort,
Jo

Darren Henry

What tripped your safety clutch and have you resolved that ??

What happens when you hold the other button down and try to turn?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

jsquail

im no sewing machine expert, but shouldn't the wheel turn freely in either direction?  It almost sounds as if something is Jammed.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

BigJohn

I had problems with my old 111W153 and I manually put the clutch back in but I found the reason it didn't work with the button was parts had been removed. I felt the cost of the clutch was prohibitive so I just used it as is.

jojo

How did you fix it manually, Big John? I'm assuming you have to loosen a screw on one of the cams, but there's a lot going on down there. Is it the cam that has the two screws protruding from it? I'd hate to loosen the wrong one.

This whole thing started because I was trying to change the stitch length (the stitch length indicator is off, so I had no idea what I was going to get each time I turned the wheel). Must've chosen a too-small stitch, and thread was balling underneath the fabric, which triggered the safety clutch.

So, why won't the wheel move when I have the button pushed? Is it frozen from not being oiled? Should I squirt everything with liquid wrench?

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

March 02, 2011, 06:31:14 am #5 Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 06:34:04 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
http://keysew.com/Demo_images/Singer_111W155_page_15.jpg

Click attached image

Just to back up here, because we are talking handwheels, safety clutches, and safety clutch reset buttons...if the button itself is stuck, and we cannot push it down;

...this means the bed of the machine has been painted over, or dirt and debris from normal sewing over a long period of time may have become trapped underneath the button, preventing us from being able to push it down and engage the safety clutch ratchet ring.

It's best to remove the retainer clip up under the machine bed by using a flat head screw driver to pull the clip out, and push the button and spring up and out.  Make sure not to lose the clip, it may fly away!  Then, clean area where button recesses into, and remove any paint by scraping it with a  flat head screw driver.  Make sure spring and button have free motion before we reinstall clip.  To reinstall clip, I like to push button and spring down, and have the clip on the tip of a needle nose pliers.

Hope this helps!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Just re read the post, after drinking a bit of coffee.

Hand wheel is stuck.  got it. It's quite possible the machine is jambed, and the clutch did not pop. 

Clear the thread jamb from the hook area, usually a tail is sticking out from between the hook base and the hook inside/hook bobbin case.  Use a needle nose, grab the tail, and turn the hand wheel opposite of sewing direction, or clockwise.  This should help facilitate (my big 5 cent word of the day) the removal of the thread jambed up in the hook.

Then, check the safety clutch, as mentioned, and you should be up and running.  Oh, and I would change the needle, too, just to be sure it's not bent from the thread jamb.

If that doesn't work, let us know!

jojo

No, there is no thread in there at all. I ended up messing with some screws around that lever that is supposed to go into the notch, and now the when I turn the handwheel nothing in the bobbin area moves; just the needle. :(

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Jojo on March 02, 2011, 10:30:00 am
No, there is no thread in there at all. I ended up messing with some screws around that lever that is supposed to go into the notch, and now the when I turn the hand wheel nothing in the bobbin area moves; just the needle. :(

The what into the what?

Kindly explain.  As for the handwheel turning free with needle...sounds like we need to reset the safety clutch. 

jojo

Page 22 of the 111w155 manual says "to re-engage the safety clutch, push the lock stud (button) on the bed to engage the hook driving shaft lock ratchet, which prevents the hook driving shaft from turning backward.
Turn the machine pulley away from you until the locking lever snaps into the notch in the shaft collar."
I'd scan the page, but it's too hard to see the pic, as I think I have a 20th generation copy.
Anyway, I did push the button, but couldn't budge the handwheel. So I tried to make that lever go into the notch by fiddling with the screws.

jojo

And yes, that's exactly what I've been trying to do all this time, reset the safety clutch!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: jojo on March 02, 2011, 11:40:49 am
And yes, that's exactly what I've been trying to do all this time, reset the safety clutch!

If the button to reset the safety cluch is not working, or doing the job, something other than the button may be the probolem

The saftey clutch counter latch spring very often pops out and flys away.  This leves the counter hook flying in the wind, so to speak,

Tilt the machine back on the hinges, and look at the safety clutch.  You should be able to locate a part that is small with a hook on the end of it.  This needs to engage, or hook the part on the hook driving shaft.  You can find this by turning the hand wheel opposite direction, and find where this hook falls into the latch.  Keeping pressure or by keeping the hook in place by your finger, push the button down, and turn the hand wheel opposite of sewing direction.  If reset correctly, you will hear a pop, or click, and the hand wheel will no longer turn free until you release the safety clutch reset button.

I really hope this helps!

jojo

Thanks Gregg,

I had been doing this, but still couldnt' turn the handwheel opposite sewing direction. But I was inspired to try again based on your last post.

It took a LOT of brute force, but finally it worked! Everything started moving freely.
However now it's out of time  >:(, but that I can handle.
Isn't the point of the safety clutch to prevent it from getting knocked out of time?

One more question: do you guys repair machines? Mine can benefit from a tuneup, and nobody around here does it. If not, would you take it as a trade-in on a new machine?

Mike8560

i van eolace a worn piece ect but i wouldnt touvh trying to time it. the best shop ive found here is over an hor away.
my 111w155 is so old i dont have the button my juki doese on the singer i have to hold te hook while turing the handwheel.

jojo

Mike,
I learned how to time a machine in the Air Force while in technical school for parachute rigging.
It's really not that hard, and I've even seen the instructions online.

However, I thought my machine was ok, but it's not. Apparently when I forced the handwheel, it messed something else up on the hook driving shaft. So now the other button that controls the stitch length isn't effective.

Oh well, maybe this is a sign that I need a new machine. Anybody wanna buy a vintage singer 111w155 in need of adjustment? :D