Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 03:18:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

hidden stitch diamonds

Started by adem, February 26, 2011, 06:59:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

adem

I was looking at this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CLjKvocEgI and I am wondering if someone could point me to a tutorial showing how to do the 3 diamonds shown at 3:22 in the video. I think I have an idea of how to go about it, but I am thinking if there is a tried and true method for that look I should find it out.

Judi

adem

thanks Judi, I think diamond tufting is a little different to the type of diamonds I am talking about that's shown in the video. At least I think they are

MinUph

Yes they are. Diamond tufting as seen in the video is real tufting. Sewing the diamonds in is a little easier. Lay out the pattern on the back of the fabric with lines. If your diamonds are say 5" x 5" then your layout lines should be 5 1/2" x 5 1/2". Once all lines are drawn fold the fabric over at a line and sew a 1/4" seam running off the line at the intersection of the lines. This will give depth to the button or tie being pulled in. If your not using a button or tie sew straight through at 1/4" seam.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

adem

so you mark out the lines and then do a sort of fold and sew technique?, (as some people do pleats)

What I cant get my head around.. say the base of the diamond where you have multiple lines meeting in the same area, how you physically sew that with the fold technique. Maybe I just need to try it and see what happens.

MinUph

I may have made this sound simpler than it should be. You also need to sandwich the foam diamonds in, or you can glue the foam to a backing material and cut through the foam (not the backing and then do the seams as explained. An upholstery machine will sew over the double fold. Go slow and make sure to keep the seem straight and in the cut of the foam.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

NDAV8R

Hey there gang:
  One thing I noticed on the youtube video and of course it depends on the item being covered.  If you are doing the "folding type of tufting", you might want to make all the folds to "flow" in one direction like the shingles on a roof.  For example on a verticle seat back make all the folds down so nothing gets trapped in the cracks of the folds.  And also pick a material that is real soft and pliable to make it easier to work with and to get better results.
  My 2 cents.

Gale.
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!