Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 04:17:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need double welt help

Started by RussW, February 23, 2011, 08:00:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RussW

Doyle,
I used the V groove also and basicly did the same as Paul, except I folded from the right side first and then overlapped from left to right ( no particular reason, it just felt more comfortable to me ) leaving extra material, then just cut off the excess.
I actually ran out of double welt by about three yards and used some single welt side by side and still got it done with one pass, but it took a little longer
The V grove foot I believe was the key
The chair had the corners stapled and glue everywhere else, but the glue did just fine for installing the welt. I was hoping the pics would be larger to show more as there was double welt everywhere on those chairs.
I didn't sew my fingers as June did, but I did burn them with the HOT glue a couple of times and stapled my thumb once - something you learn not to do twice.
Russ

sofadoc

I like to cut mine on the bias because it turns corners and bends better. I only anchor the corners with staples, and glue the rest.  I keep several cheapo cans of spray paint on hand to paint the staples a matching color. I spray the trimmed edge with No-Fray Spray, or Aqua Net hair spray, or even clear Polyurethane spray (whatever is handy). 
Some fabrics seem to give me trouble in the one-pass method. When this happens, I use the method that I described in my earlier post.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban