Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 12:05:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I Was Thinking ( Oh...Oh...)

Started by Mojo, February 23, 2011, 04:28:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I give Bob Kovar a call every few weeks just to shoot the breeze and catch up on life. He is always a blast to chat with and because of his vast clientele ( from prison systems to the Amish ) his stories are always fun to hear. I sometimes learn quite a bit from his stories ( especially what not to do ).

Yesterday we hooked up on the phone and solved the worlds problems but during our conversation he said something that struck me. I asked him how business was and he said booming. He indicated he was real busy selling machines and that business while dead during the holidays has been booming for him ( which explains why he cannot participate on here as much as he would like ).

Now this got me thinking. If he is busy then that must mean upholsterers are busy as well. Or is this a false thought.

I know it is dead here in my area. Little jobs come creeping in but I have not had any large jobs like last year. Last year at this time I was slammed and sewing 7 days a week. This year I have yet to sign a major job.

I am wondering is everyone else in the same boat ( no pun intended ) ? Are you booked up and running big jobs or just squeaking by on small stuff like I am ?

Chris

Mike8560

February 23, 2011, 05:24:54 am #1 Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:25:33 pm by Mike8560
Hey Chris I can see the smoke  down here !lol :)
Im in the same boat no big money jobs just some small one trickling in.
I was thinking.  I was trying to sell
an extra machine I don't use and met this lady that doese slipcober on the side
 She said she sold a machine to a guy that worked for a upholstery shop that went belly up he was going to sew boat canvas.  So maybe more peoe are buying machines to make some extra cash that are out of work. ?

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Busy since last spring, consistent.  I come here for peace and relaxation, and the enjoyment of the company of others. 

fragged8

hiya

I'm booking in work but i just can't get to it because of the weather,

he could be selling machines to people who have lost jobs and are thinking
there will be work enough for them too. Severance pay only goes so far though.

sofadoc

Mojo: Bob's business increase might be attributed to his local competition drying up.
I know that I am as busy as ever, but it's probably because the other area shops keep closing. I was this busy in the 80's, but so were 6 other shops in my town.
Now, I only have 1 competitor. If another shop opened up in town, I'd be hurting.
"Only the strong survive".......right? For now, anyway.
Fragged makes a good point also. A lot of people are making mid-life career changes.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

jojo

I think lots of people are trying to go into business for themselves, and I kind of worry about competition and price undercutting.
But then again, when most of these endeavors fail next year, there will be lots of slightly used sewing machines at bargain prices for sale on ebay  ;D

Grebo

It's a bit odd over here.
Lots of the 'black workers'  now I am not being racist here, means not on the books.
Have disappeared, which is nice  :P  Us legal nutters are having a hard time because nothing is going down in price, in fact it's exactly opposite  ???   The 'Spanish' point of view is, if you are selling / making less put the prices up to cover the difference  >:(  Wacko.
I am not a busy as normal for the time of year, plodding along, with work now coming in for the pre Easter rush.

Mike8560

Today I got s call from a lady looking to find out where she can buy wholesale. 
She got my nunber from a regular customer.
She must have bought a machine and thinks she can go into buisness. 

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Mike8560 on February 24, 2011, 02:24:46 pm
Today I got s call from a lady looking to find out where she can buy wholesale. 
She got my nunber from a regular customer.
She must have bought a machine and thinks she can go into buisness. 

Actually, lots of people have started that way!  I'm sure you can get some 1st person accounts right here on this MB.