Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 07:23:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Ruined a perfectly good needle today

Started by JuneC, February 22, 2011, 04:27:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Pics tomorrow. 

Tooling along with my Singer then CrUnCh  :o  Finger stuck in work...  Dang, gonna get blood all over my cover, but I can't go anywhere cause my finger's stuck in the works.  Ok, turn off the motor, cut the thread, grab my screwdriver, unscrew the needle screw.  Still can't figure out how to extricate my finger.  Ok, unscrew left foot and remove.  Still stuck.  Unscrew right foot and remove, turn the wheel till needle's at it's highest point... finally, got my finger out with needle still stuck in the bone.  Now what.  I'm thinking if I don't pull it out NOW, I'm gonna faint and it'll hurt like hell later.  Pulled it out.  The eye all bent to hell. 

Moral of this story - don't EVER EVER sit down to sew at an industrial machine without a screwdriver handy.   Cell phone is nice to have at hand also.  And don't panic.  The adrenaline makes your hands shake and it's hard to undo screws, but it's better than sitting there for 10 minutes saying to yourself "now what?" 

Also, it looks and sounds much worse than it is.  I can honestly say I've had minor paper cuts that hurt worse and bled more.  The needle makes a teeny skinny hole so very little blood and nerves barely touched.  I was sewing again in 5 minutes or so after the adrenaline wore off. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

fragged8

OUCH June. just the thought makes my fingers tingle..

I hope it doesn't hurt like hell later.

when you say pics later .. does that mean you were taking action shots ?  :o

Mojo

OUCH.......... Dang June. That had to hurt not to mention scare the heck out of you.

Glad you got it out and you were able to get back to sewing.

Makes me shiver just thinking about it.

Chris

MinUph

June,
  It will surly hurt tomorrow. Good job staying calm enough to get yourself free. Remind me of when I stapled the web of my hand between the thumb and first finger to a chair. Luckily I could reach the side cutters and staple remover.
  Keep it clean and Neosporin really works on the pain.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Peppy

Groadie! To the max! Very good job staying calm! I too have stapled myself to stuff. Really and truly sucks! But I haven't had to do a fine motor skills test to get loose. Good advice keeping the screwdriver handy. I had to pull the motor cover I was carpeting over to my side cutters. I hope you have a stiff drink near by. That helps me.

Oh, and-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mike8560

Quote from: fragged8 on February 22, 2011, 05:02:16 pm

when you say pics later .. does that mean you were taking action shots ?  :o
now thats Moxie
ive come close got caught by the foot heck my fat figer probly woldnt fit under the foot.. that goto hurt though June. i once had a 2" staple take a turn in somem sood and enter my finger proby an 1" once whn i worked at a furniture shop didnt hit the bone though. ???

SHHR

Quote from: JuneC on February 22, 2011, 04:27:41 pm
Moral of this story - don't EVER EVER sit down to sew at an industrial machine without a screwdriver handy. 

True, I think I would need one After running my finger through the machine too..... OOHHHHH!, You meant the tool screwdriver.
Kyle

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

My favorite part of the story?  That JuneC couldn't wait to report this story to the forum!  Talk about camaraderie!

seamsperfect

June I feel for you,  fortunately (knock on wood) I have never done that .  My buddy one time shot a small trim nail into the fleshy part of his hand just under the thumb.  They could not see the head or the end so they had to slice him open and take it out lengthwise.........
Kevin

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: seamsperfect on February 22, 2011, 06:45:29 pm
June I feel for you,  fortunately (knock on wood) I have never done that .  My buddy one time shot a small trim nail into the fleshy part of his hand just under the thumb.  They could not see the head or the end so they had to slice him open and take it out lengthwise.........
Kevin

As if I didn't feel squeamish enough after reading the opening post... :-X

gene

If the needle did hit the bone:
you might want to check with a doctor, maybe an x-ray, to make sure the bone is OK. Certainly any swelling, discoloration, or numbness is cause for concern. If you get a fever in the next few days to a week that may be an indication of an infection.

Good job on not getting blood on the fabric.

I was surprised that you didn't go on and on and on about the awful pain!!! But then I realized that you are a woman. That's why God gave child bearing to women. He knew women could handle the pain.

Glad you are OK.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Grebo

February 23, 2011, 01:17:36 am #11 Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:24:57 am by Grebo
AArrh June.

Hope you feel better soon

Yep I always have tools to hand plus the cell phone & plasters, but crap I would probably faint..
Just one point, sorry about that  :-[  Apparently you should leave 'things' stuck in  place as the removal tends to do the most  harm, well at least on the blood front anyway.  I don't think it counts for fingers..

We had a good friend who got speared by a 'screwdriver' next to his eye, he actually pulled it out himself & drove him self to hospital  :o , unfortunately he died a week later from the internal bleeding.

bobbin

Oh OWWW!

But, June, isn't it amazing how we manage to maintain thoughtful calm when faced with an emergency situation that requires it??  Whenever I hear someone say, "I could never have done that" I always reply, "yeah you could, when the chips are down you do what you have to do". 

Keep a good close eye on that puncture, and BTW, have you had a tetanus shot lately?

Mike8560

I knew this guy who one day out fishing on a partyboat cought a fish he had to through back it was a heavy fish a d had the heavy rod bent right over.  He found he had to throug
it back so he had
a havt of just shaking it off the hook   He did it this tome and when the fish fell off the rod now sprang straight and the hook shot up
right througjt his thumb. They didn't  head in and he had to spent the rest off the day hook in thumb wrapped up

Ouch.

SHHR

Something happened just last night that made me think of this post. I know you said the whole needle came out, but please keep an eye on it.

About two weeks ago my 8 year old son accidently stabbed himself in the leg with a pencil at school. He stuck it in his front pocket, sat down and right into his upper thigh. He went to the nurse and they examined it, cleaned it up, put a band aid on and all was OK. He forgot to tell me about it that day, so when he did I looked it over and all looked fine with a clean wound and nothing in it. I questioned him and he said the pencil was in one piece. In a few day it got infected and I kept it clean, drained it daily, figuring all will be alright in a day or two. A few days ago things seemed fine with it and I forgot about it, so at bedtime last night I asked to see it. I touched it and just a little infection was still in it, so I removed the scab and saw a big black spot, after working on it a couple of minutes I pulled a 1/2" piece of pencil tip out of the little guys leg. That thing had to of been in there deep because I couldn't see or feel it before.

Keep it clean with a keen eye on it.
Kyle