Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 05:06:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Got My Tax Refund - Should I Buy This Machine?

Started by jojo, February 19, 2011, 03:47:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Does anybody have any experience with this brand of machine? I currently have an ancient singer 111w155, which is good, but it doesn't have reverse, and has repair issues from time to time.

This seems like a pretty good deal; it includes the table and servo motor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300474905305&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Would you guys advise buying this? Thanks,
Joanne

bobbin

When buying a new machine there's more involved than just price, IMO. 

I have purchased two brand new machines over the years and both were purchased from the local dealer and ace mechanic I've known and used for years.  I did some shopping around to see about prices and his price was very competitive; the internet has really levelled the playing field with respect to pricing.  Sure, I had to pay sales tax ($220) but he also delivered the machine, set it up, walked me through its operation, and I know that whenever I encounter a problem with it he will be right there to help me out. 

I could have "shopped price" and probably done a little better but if I needed the mechanic's help on something it would have bothered me to have him work on a machine he didn't have a chance to sell.  I know that "that's business" but I feel that when dealing with machinery it's wise to establish a good working relationship with the person that's going to fix it when it needs repair (and it will, at some time, require a mechanic!)

As for Yamatas, I've never operated one, but I know they are a known name in multi-needle machinery and regarded well.  Isn't A&M Industrial out of Los Angeles? or maybe I have them confused with another large outfit. 

jojo

Thanks Bobbin. Yes, they are in LA.
Unfortunately, I am no where near a dealer (nearest is 2 hours away), otherwise I would buy from one. And I do agree that price shouldn't be the only factor, and am a believer in the "you get what you pay for" philosophy, but why pay more if it is possible to get something of reasonable quality for a decent price?
I'm wondering why it is so cheap...difference in stitch quality? Sturdiness?

bobbin

Call A&M Industrial, they can probably tell you why the machine is so inexpensive and how it stands up against similar machinery from different manufacturers.  I'd go right to the source. 

BigJohn

February 19, 2011, 07:19:29 am #4 Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:26:29 am by BigJohn
     I don't see in the description that this is a compound feed machine (both walking foot and needle feed) as the 111W155 and most all of the other widely used machine by members of this board are, now this might be an omission but you might be trading down by going to this machine. I'd investigate further.

I would contact one of the two well-known and reliable sewing machine dealers that advertise on this board:

Bob Kovar of Toledo Sewing Machine has helped many members offering great honest service at very competitive prices and he can be contacted at:
Bob Kovar toll free# 1-866-362-7397  or   Sewmun@aol.com

Gregg at Keystone Sewing Machine frequents this board often offering opinions and advice and he also offers knowledgeable service and very competitive prices on a wide variety of sewing machines:
http://www.keysew.com/    or    215/922.6900

MinUph

I bought my newest machine off the Internet for 995.00 free shipping. The machine is fine, works well and have no issues with it. BUT service is truly a handy thing. Example. When I ordered the machine I also ordered a welt foot for 5/32" cord. Not knowing the size I left it up to the store to send it. They sent a smaller foot and it took me awhile to figure out the problem. I called the store and explained the problem to him, I was told he couldn't tell unless I sent him a sample of the 5/32" cord. I bought the correct foot and all is well. I also sent him a sample of the cord and that was 2 months ago. I don't expect to hear back from him. To bad.
  Also to give credit where credit is due, the store I bought it from did assemble everything and tore it down again to ship so all holes and adjustments were right on. I suppose this could be problematic for someone not use to assembling a table, motor, head etc.
  Good luck with your purchase.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: BigJohn on February 19, 2011, 07:19:29 am
     I don't see in the description that this is a compound feed machine (both walking foot and needle feed) 

Yeah, when you scroll down the page , and look at the welt feet/needle bar area, the needle bar appears to move independently (not with the welt foot). I don't see it doing a good job on things like they pictured below it (baseball glove, leather jacket, brief case, and especially not auto seats).
I'd be interested to hear what Gregg, or Bob says about this one.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

fragged8

I had a Chinese brother copy I got new from ebay and it was cheap
but i really didn't like it, the woman I sold it to doesn't mind it at all.

It's a preference thing.

I now stick to well known makes but beware of buying second hand
even if it is a good name, there is some real junk out there.

If you can find a machine dealer that you trust, stick with him
they are worth their weight in gold. you may pay a bit more
but if your machine is your money maker then it needs to be
reliable.

Highlead seems to be getting a decent reputation in the Uk
and I have looked at them myself because they do a long arm.

Rich

stitchit

Bob Kovar @ Toledo Sewing is the "only" person I would go thru. This guy's incredible!! I bought my machine from him, and he has never once requested I send it to him to be worked on when I have an issue. "VERY" knowledgeable in the industry, and would never steer you wrong.

Just my 2 pennies worth, but, after going elsewhere to "save the dime", I learned a very valuable lesson. Expensive too!

Chris

Mojo

I have to give a huge prop to Bob Kovar as well. He has forgotten more about machines then I will ever learn. :) I forgot how long he has been in the business but I know they are now into 3 generations.

Bob gave me a good deal on a Chandler machine and I have been over the moon with it. I have had a couple problems with it ( ones in which I caused myself ) and he spends a great deal of time on the phone talking you through the fix. He is an incredible person with an awesome personality and is honest as the day is long.

I bought my first machine on E-Bay and I really got stung on a POS. Same old story, saved a lot of money and in the process created myself a major project with headaches. The machine was brand new and was drop shipped to my door and was never taken out of the box and setup. The dealer never seen it or touched it. It sewed horribly and I fought it for months on end until I finally got it to sew right. When I was having problems with it the dealer wouldn't take my phone calls or would just act dumbfounded when I did reach him. I think he knew less about machines then I did. :)

I strongly urge you to consider buying a machine from Bob. He also has used machines as well and him or his son Bobby go through them and make sure they are in tip top shape.

Give Bob a call and see what he has - 419-380-8540. If nothing else he can answer any questions you may have on machines.

Chris

jojo

Thanks guys.  Big John, you nailed it. That was exactly what I was looking for; I never even considered that it wouldn't be a compound feed, which I absolutely need. I will call Greg at Keystone about the Highlead, since he is only two hours away from me.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: jojo on February 20, 2011, 06:01:30 am
Thanks guys.  Big John, you nailed it. That was exactly what I was looking for; I never even considered that it wouldn't be a compound feed, which I absolutely need. I will call Greg at Keystone about the Highlead, since he is only two hours away from me.

That Yamata is a top bottom feed, not a walking foot, and it's not 'like' the Artisan 618.  This means the needle does NOT sweep with the work, and that the work is being transported with needle up out out of the work.  This opens the door to pile shift, and is a downgrade as far as material feeding goes compared to your Singer.

If you are a mere two hours away, I do have a full service shop with showroom, and have all popular brands and models available for demo, so you can test drive and find what you like and want.  New motor styles as well.  We can also eliminate shipping if you take one with you and can help load into a SUV, minivan, or pickup. 

We are here at your service. 

seamsperfect

Greg what is the big difference in walking foot and compound needle feed walking foot.  I have an Artisan 797 that is a plain walking foot and I have a 618 highlead that is a compound needle fed.  My mitusu double needle is like my 618 compound needle fed.
Kevin

sofadoc

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on February 20, 2011, 07:03:20 am
That Yamata is a top bottom feed, not a walking foot,   

How do those E-bay stores get away with calling it a walking foot?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

BigJohn

You might want to ask about that Chandler that Mojo bought he seams to very happy with it and if my recollection serves me right Gregg said he could sell that model as well. That is modeled after a Consew 206R but sells for hundreds less!