Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 01:50:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What type of leather is this???

Started by Rockworthy, February 17, 2011, 05:40:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockworthy

Hello forum!  I am a new guy at upholstery but I find this a fascinating craft.  I really, REALLY want to learn how to make my own custom steering wheel covers, shift knobs and shift boots.  I found a super high-end auto upholstery shop that has pictures of some of their work.  What kind of leather is this in the picture and where can I get it? http://www.advancedleatherworkshop.com/AstonPics/VanquishSteerWheel.jpg See how soft, thick and smooth it is?  I want.  I WANT.

scarab29

They do the best leather work I have ever seen. They have a leather splitter and can make the leather paper thin. I was there taking the machine intro course some time ago and the owners son was leather wrapping his cell phone case to match his cars interior , the subaru on his site photos. They sell a jig for stitching wheels I believe. I have some vids on youtube of a guy showing some stitching techniques. Here is a link

http://www.youtube.com/user/Cechaflo#p/u/28/5xDYCNyTdh0
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

seamsperfect

February 17, 2011, 03:13:11 pm #2 Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:18:29 pm by seamsperfect
Johann only uses the best so maybe a high line Spinneybeck?  Just a guess.
Cechaflo has a steering wheel device he designed and uses.  I asked him cost and he said $1,500.00 + shipping.  Very well made and top notch.  I do not do enough wheels to justify the cost.  I could do a ton of wheels as I get inquiries daily about them,  but to me they are very time consuming...
Kevin

Rockworthy

Thanks for the info guys.  I watched that guy's videos on youtube they're great.

bobbin

That is beautiful work, clean and neat in every detail.  I'd like to see one of that "steering wheel device", bet it's pretty cool. 

206RB

February 18, 2011, 03:29:12 pm #5 Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:47:01 pm by 206RB
I think the "device" is called a skiver. I'd love to have one of those.
I've been talked into doing steering wheels. It's a good thing if you are sleep deprived.
The key is to specialize.

Peppy

Oh my! Thats really something! Looking good there 206RB! I've done a fair amount of hand stitching and wondered how it was done. I'll wonder no more. It was done by someone who wasn't me.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

bobbin

"The key is to specialize.", yeah and be very, very patient. 

Beautiful work.  Why did you use 3 colors of thread?

seamsperfect

Quote from: bobbin on February 19, 2011, 03:49:34 am
"The key is to specialize.", yeah and be very, very patient. 

Beautiful work.  Why did you use 3 colors of thread?

BMW motorsport colors.........
Kevin

bobbin

Ah, I see.  Thanks.  I was thinking the different colors allowed you tell the front from the back, lol.