Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 12:21:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Christmas Tree Type Plug Fasteners

Started by Peppy, February 16, 2011, 06:39:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Peppy

I have two boats right now that use the same type of push plug fasteners. You know what I'm talking about? This type of thing-

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/PANEL_CLIPS_REPLACEMENT_WHITE_FOR_INTERIOR_TRIM_AND_PANELS_p_1697.html

But I need the double ended kind. That go in a hole in the side pad and a hole in the boat and have a little ring half way. (I'll get a picture if I'm not making sense.) I'm going to need a dozen or more but haven't been able to source them. I can't get behind the pad and can't screw from the front. I have some of another type but they aren't long enough to go through the plywood then into the boat. I've stolen enough from the one boat to finish the other boat but I don't think thats going to pay off as a long term strategy. What else is there? Sticky tape?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

SHHR

I'm doing a baja 180 right now with those type and also no luck finding them. A few years ago, installing some customer bought Rod Doors door panels I was introduced to a fastener in the door panel kit that may work for you. It's by 3M and called Dual Lock. It's best described as Velcro times 1000. Instead of hook and loop it has little T-shaped posts that push together also the glue used to hold each piece on is phenominal. It's hard to find, but you can do a search I think on the 3M website and maybe even purchase it there in rolls, It's not cheap either,but If you have a Radio Shack near by most of them carry it in a small bubble pack of like 3" x 5" squares and they also use a different name than Dual Lock too.
Anothe thing I've done was to buy some extra long univeral Christmas tree fasteners from an auto parts store and cut the head off. usually the shank is long enough to grip both pieces.
Kyle

stew-cheryl

fingers

Not sure if these are the correct size but seem to be the style your after : Au-ve-co part # 20762

Picked these up at CMK, a trim shop supplier here in the Tampa Bay area

JuneC

February 17, 2011, 06:32:46 am #4 Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:52:35 am by JuneC
I just bought two boxes of those things - double ended, 1/4" hole required - about 6 months ago.  I ordered them online.  I'll try later to see where I got them.  Right now I don't remember.  As I recall, they were expensive.  I might have gotten them off eBay.

June

Found them...  These were what I got.  Pretty similar dimensions to the 20762 mentioned above.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/25-DOUBLE-END-XMAS-TREE-RETAINERS-11-32-STEM-DIAM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem41568525c1QQitemZ280624440769QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

fragged8

if i want them in the UK i go to an Auto body shop
or a supplier of auto paints, glues etc  they usually have them.

Rich

Miami Mike

http://www.miamicorp.com/products/SHOP%20SUPPLIES%20@@26%20TOOLS/FASTENERS/TRIM%20@@2f%20DOOR%20PANEL%20CLIPS/CHRISTMAS%20TREE%20CLIPS.aspx

All you need..... we have tons to choose from...
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

Mike8560

Is rather use the.  Z clips more secure and tighter fit to rhe boat.

fragged8

Hey it's Miami Mike, not seen much of you lately ?
How have you been ?

Rich

Peppy

Thanks all!

Kyle- I've heard of that stuff and seen it in catalogues. Nice to know that it works. But I need something that will 'draw' in the pad. Squish the welt, like. I'll keep it in mind for the future...

Rich- Car Quest has everything but. I did find some that may be long enough to go through the wood and they might fit the hole.

Miami Mike- You also have everything but. Thanks though! Do you ship to Canada?

Mike- Whats a Z clip?

June- Huzzah! Thats the one! You win the prize! Sadly, the prize is only my respect and admiration. While your here I have to say thank you for the seam-tape-for-hydum-gimp trick. I think it was you? Awesome. I hardly even hate making it now. Your 2 boxes of respect and admiration are in the mail!

Just for fun, if you were making side pads from scratch and had complete freedom to fasten them any way you wanted (but blind, mind. No screws through the face) how would you guys do it?

JuneC

Quote from: Peppy on February 17, 2011, 05:30:20 pm
While your here I have to say thank you for the seam-tape-for-hydum-gimp trick. I think it was you?

Nope, can't take credit for that one.  I think it was Bobbin or Darren. 

As for my "ideal" method of attachment?  I'd say "Z" clips, but not the 1/2" offset type that go through a hole in the backer board.  I like the skinny ones that go through a strap screwed to the back of the board.  I haven't found a source for them yet.  Contender uses them on their mega-center consoles (the ones with the 25+ foot long coaming bolsters). 

June

W. C. Fields

Peppy

Quote from: JuneC on February 17, 2011, 05:43:21 pm
Nope, can't take credit for that one.  I think it was Bobbin or Darren. 

Oh. Well never mind then. I'll just leave my respect and admiration in a box by the door. If anyone needs any they can help themselves.

Quote from: JuneC on February 17, 2011, 05:43:21 pm
As for my "ideal" method of attachment?  I'd say "Z" clips, but not the 1/2" offset type that go through a hole in the backer board.  I like the skinny ones that go through a strap screwed to the back of the board.  I haven't found a source for them yet.  Contender uses them on their mega-center consoles (the ones with the 25+ foot long coaming bolsters). 

I've never seen a Z clip. I feel like I'm missing out on something. Oh wait 25' long bolsters. I'll just be content with my ignince.

Mike8560

I don't ha s a linl or pix peppy but a z clip is a metal piece that is screwed to the boat shaped lime a z the one end acts like a hook and points up the bolster has a hole sgategily ppased that when  it is hooked on the clip through the hole in the boster board it slides down into place youadjusted propely the pad is pulled in tight. You can the. Pia screw is to gold it down I've seen then put in through the vinyl in the botto
  In a fold hidden. I've also seen little tabs that extent down from the back of the pad 1/2" to do the same thng.  I havn seen the clips that June mentioned where she hasn't found a source.

JuneC

Here's one type.
  http://www.monarchmetal.com/pages/panelclip.html

"French cleats" are another similar idea, but I don't like that they can slide fore/aft.  I'd prefer a 1/8" offset clip, but the part you mount on the boat, rather than being a "cleat" hanger, is a 1" wide aluminum strap that you screw in on each end.  It has a 1/8" bump-out that accepts the tab of the clip.  This prevents any right/left slipping, but in order to keep the bolster down into place, there's usually a small notch in the backer board and a tab with screw holes on each end, attached to the board, and to the gunwale.  You have to push back the vinyl on the underside at the cut-out in order to see the screw head.

June

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

June have you used thoose monach clips.  It looks like they would hold the panel out farther then the type with a hole in the panel.
For peppy I've also installed pad like this by installing in the boat aarge headed screw maybe 3 on a bolstery a few feet long rather then z clips. In the bolster drill a hole the size of the screw shaft   I forgot you have to not install the screw in tight leaving the hea sticking out a bit.   
Not on the bolster back below the hole you just drilled drill a larger hole may e an inch lower large enough for the screw head to fit through. Now cut a slot from the center of the large hole to the small hole   Not the bolster can be fit over the screw in the larrge hole and slid down into place using the slot.  I call it a keyhole slot fitting.