Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 08, 2024, 08:01:09 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New product by YKK Hmmmmm.....

Started by JuneC, February 10, 2011, 06:51:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

Mike8560

I've seen thoose I gueese you'd have to find a customer who would want. Them. I can see all the ue comming loose here in the Florida sun

captdz

I don't think they intended them to be a replacement for metal snaps.  I think they will have their uses...I bought some for the floor of my center console. I like the idea of not having to drill holes to snap down carpet.

Dan
Capt. Dan

fragged8

hiya

I've seen a video on those a while ago, they are good for fitting
a line bag to a hull etc as the customer can place them without drilling
but boy are they expensive

gene

The entire boat is held together with adhesives. I don't see why, with the right adhesive, that this thing wouldn't work better than, or as good as, a metal connector.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike8560

Quote from: gene on February 10, 2011, 06:49:42 pm
The entire boat is held together with adhesives. I don't see why, with the right adhesive, that this thing wouldn't work better than, or as good as, a metal connector.

gene
I don't see any peel and stick lasting it's not like it's  eloxie or 3200.

Mike8560

Quote from: captdz on February 10, 2011, 10:04:05 am
I don't think they intended them to be a replacement for metal snaps.  I think they will have their uses...I bought some for the floor of my center console. I like the idea of not having to drill holes to snap down carpet.

Dan
you hVe carpet in your centerconsole.  R&R textiles or Corinthian textiles carpet with aqualon backing can be layed down and dosent move without snaps.

Grebo

Quote from: gene on February 10, 2011, 06:49:42 pm

gene

Yeh, if you stick them on with epoxy they probably would be ok until they go yellow, turn brittle & either break up into bits or a sticky blob  :(
Can't see even 3M staying stuck in summer temperatures, let alone the humidity  ::)
Give them a go Gene & send us a report  ;D

Mike8560

3m doese have good adheasive Loren. But you still have to sell stick on snaps.

scarab29

Used some to hold down the cushions on the front of a contender cc last summer. I'll let you know.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

gene

February 11, 2011, 05:05:02 pm #12 Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:07:18 pm by gene
We've talked about adhesives on this forum before.

I saw a documentary about adhesives. You can glue 2 pieces of steel together and the glue joint is stronger than the steel, just like a wood joint.

Adhesives are used in most surgeries.

I use New Skin on my cuts and dried skin cracks. I think it's basically super glue with an antibiotic in it.

I staple welt cord to my cornice boards. I had someone show me how they glue it using fabric adhesive. More and more window treatment shops seem to be using glues to replace staples and some sewing.

Home Depot has double sided carpet tape. It is being sold as a replacement for tack strips and a knee kicker. There is no way wall to wall carpet will last with double sided tape. Even if the tape holds, you are unable to stretch the carpet in laying it down. And you will not be able to restretch the carpet in the future. This is an example of "yes it sticks, but it's not the correct application for the job."

I agree with Grebo: Who wants to be the first one to find out that it does not work? But then, what if it does???

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Sorry June. It wont be me who tries them. :)

I learned my lesson a couple years ago. I wont use adhesive anything in Florida. :) Anything I have ever used adhesive on melted in the summer under direct " boiling " Florida UV rays. :)

You should have seen the mess I ended up with using 3m adhesive velcro. The damn glue ran everywhere.

Chris

Grebo

Hey has anyone seem a survey or something comparing your Florida UV to our Med UV, I wonder who has the roughest time of if ?