Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 09:20:33 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

common sense fitting ?

Started by fragged8, February 08, 2011, 02:40:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

hiya

I will have a look at doing it that way Mike, at least I could get a
second chance.

How would you and June fit the canvas between Common sense
fasteners ? start at the bottom or the top ?

When i mark them for cutting I pull the fabric taught and press it
down in front of the fastener and mark where the base meets the surface
it is screwed to and also the center line. is that how you do it ?

If I just cut the top off at the arch edge, is it difficult to retro fit
keder like this one here ?

Mike8560

Around here there would almost alyways be a kedar track on the arch.  Me I'd gold the window in place a second person helps and find the center and start there with my first gromett   It would be easier tolet it hang. If th dangle is so on e the gromett  clears the turn uttn and then slides back into pace against the boat it's going to slack off. Just like a Bimini support strap with a hook. He book has to clear the eye pad. Then the hook slacks off once it gets last the hook end.
Inwould then  put some crayon on the turn button and when you pull the fabric down tugh to the button the mark will transfer to the canvas. If you have then
s angle that will allow the canvas to slack off once the turn utton gromett  is on then I would allow for this. And install the gromett a bit tighter on the window do this with the  first once you do also.
I would probly do as you said also and put a new facing on the bottom and redo the gromettts
I said to tighten the top before but I thought you had a zipper then.     

fragged8

hiya

I always listen to you and June Mike, i'll try the crayon method you use
it sounds better that the way I do it.

What will probably happen is Ill have to remake the top but install
Keder, the reason I didn't in the first place was there is a ton of holes
all over the arch where plugs and fittings have been so i wanted to cover them
but that will have to be the customers problem.

I'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks again
Rich

Mike8560

E e. With snap sometime I'll mark the spot this way putting crayon on the snap and transfering it to the canvas.  Islf it's a critical location most ti e o. Snaps I'll just eyeball it and install it.  I use a suare talors blue crayon or a white cleanable pencil.

Therapy

February 13, 2011, 07:27:53 am #19 Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:30:28 am by Therapy
I can't say anything about the common sense fasteners
But i thing that Boat could use a few more Fenders out :D
Juki 563

JuneC

Quote from: Therapy on February 13, 2011, 07:27:53 am
But i thing that Boat could use a few more Fenders out :D

HA!  That's exactly what I was thinking.

Anyway, Rich, I mark all my fasteners - snaps, lift the dot, common-sense - with erasable pencils.  I'll dampen the end - tongue works just fine - rub on the end of the fastener, then press the canvas against the fastener.  If you choose the correct color pencil, it'll leave a mark in exactly the right spot. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

fragged8

hehe that fendered up boat is for a reason.

Holiday makers ..

We have 300 miles of inland water here and the holiday boats
sometimes go down the river like a pin ball bouncing off everything
in their way. ..

My problem with marking fittings is I've only been shown how to do snaps..
but i mark a snap base from the outside by pushing a washable pencil into the
center of the base while the fabric is in position, that works really well and gives
the dead center

Lift the dots are easy being just a post, but common sense i always
have problems getting it accurate enough. but i'll see how the Mike/June method goes.

you can see the P shape of the frame on the photo.

Rich

Mike8560

I've done that allot rich also marking a dot in the center of the screwstud o. The canvas try marking the ring of the stud them pull the canvas onto position and pressing it will transfer sometime you can't awlays do the dot thing like if your squaring on a gunnell on the water side marking a snap down low.