Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:58:13 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

JUKI 1541-S shuttle/hook assembly out of whack, help me fix it!

Started by JanChristian, February 07, 2011, 12:10:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JanChristian

Well I got my new machine. It's so much nicer to sew on than my old 562, especially with the servo and needle position synchronizer. However, I already managed to knock the hook assembly out of whack lol

I was sewing over a plastic #10 coil zipper when it happened. I tried fiddling with the safety clutch button while turning the hand wheel but I was met with some resistance and didn't want to screw it up any further. This used to happen on my old domestic machine and it would reseat itself just by turning it, but not this one. How do I fix it?

fragged8

hiya
sounds like the needle bar may have slipped,

Remove the bobbin covers and turning the machine over by hand bring down the needle to the lowest position
just before it starts going back up again and see where the bobbin cage hook is.

It should be about to enter the scarf on the needle itself or there abouts.

let us know what you see.

Rich

fragged8

oh hang on a mo, loking at your pic is the cage about 90 deg out of alignment ?

JanChristian

Well it can move around a little so it can be between 90° and ~15° out of alignment.

Looking at the photo below, the tab by the green arrow is supposed to be inside the notch by the red arrow, right? How do I line them back up, remove the "bobbin case holder" (what the green arrow points to), spin the hook assembly into the right position, then reinstall the bobbin case holder?

How does it even get out of position like this? There seems to be zero play in the parts.

fragged8

hiya

thats it, the tab should be part of the feed dog plate. it is there to hold the thread back for
a moment as the thread passes around the bobbin case and the little arm under the case just flicks the
case to open the notch and release the formed stitch. they all work in unison.

you should be able to just loosen the feed dog plate and lift it up, reposition the cage and screw the
feed dog plate down again.

As for why its happening you need to be a little careful, the whole bobbin cage assembly
is held on a shaft with grub screws, if you loosen the screws you can do two things.

1. you can adjust the hook to needle timing by rotating the cage around the shaft
2. slide the cage assembly back and forward or in and out, this will close the hook to needle
gap up and also close the notch gap up, which i suspect may be a little large allowing the cage to
spin out of the notch.

When located the cage should only wiggle side to side about 2 or 3 mm if that or about a 16th"

BE CAREFUL.. by closing the notch gap you also close the needle gap, but go too far and you may not
strike the needle with the hook as the bobbin cage should have a needle protector cut out that will bend the needle
out of the way of the hook to prevent them striking each other. but you could break needles and get bad stitches.

JanChristian

Quote from: fragged8 on February 07, 2011, 01:05:47 pm

you should be able to just loosen the feed dog plate and lift it up, reposition the cage and screw the
feed dog plate down again.

Are you thinking of a top-load machine? That's how it is on my 562 but on this one the tab is part of the "bobbin case holder". I don't think the feed dog plate has anything to do with the hook assembly position like on a top-load machine.

bobbin

You need to call the person from whom you purchased the machine.  They will be more than willing to help you with the problem.  They will be familiar with the machine and will have a "checklist" of things for you to check that will lead them to the solution for you. 

When I read your post I the first thing I thought was that you didn't seat the bobbin case properly.  It's easy to do, esp. when you're used to using a topload machine.  Then I wondered how the machine was so fouled up by stitching through #10 zip. chain... I do it all the time with my 1541 and it never bats an eye... and I came back to the bobbin case scenario. 

I don't know what to tell you, Jan. except get on the blower to the outfit that sold you the machine.  No way the work you were doing should create so much hassle so soon.  JMO. 

JanChristian

Quote from: bobbin on February 07, 2011, 02:33:45 pm
You need to call the person from whom you purchased the machine.  They will be more than willing to help you with the problem.  They will be familiar with the machine and will have a "checklist" of things for you to check that will lead them to the solution for you. 

When I read your post I the first thing I thought was that you didn't seat the bobbin case properly.  It's easy to do, esp. when you're used to using a topload machine.  Then I wondered how the machine was so fouled up by stitching through #10 zip. chain... I do it all the time with my 1541 and it never bats an eye... and I came back to the bobbin case scenario. 

I don't know what to tell you, Jan. except get on the blower to the outfit that sold you the machine.  No way the work you were doing should create so much hassle so soon.  JMO. 

The bobbin was definitely inserted properly. When I picked up the machine, that's one of the things the guy emphasized, make sure it *clicks* into place. The tech was out today so I have to call him back tomorrow. I'm just anxious to get back to sewing :) thanks guys

bobbin

fragged8

y you might be right Jan, I have both types at my workshop
and fix them both. it's really not that hard.

if the tab isn't on the dog plate then
it should be on a small plate that can be moved in/out if you loosen the
screw/s. on my Singer zigzag the plate is forked as teh tab is on the bobbin case.

looking at your pics again the arm with the tab on it has one screw holding it
in place, just loosen that and see how far you can move it.
the case has to have a small amount of wiggle to allow the thread to pass both sides of the
tab.

If you move it , turn the machine over by hand a couple of times to make sure
nothing is rubbing where it shouldn't be before powering up.
pay attention also to the bobbin case release arm too, all it should do is gently
flick the bobbin case enough just to release the thread caught by the tab.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

February 07, 2011, 05:25:45 pm #10 Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:28:02 pm by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
I know exactly what is wrong, and I can explain how I know; because I check every Juki DNU-1541S before it leaves my shop for this known (by us) issue with this model, out of the box.

I can't tell you how to fix it, as I do not care to go head to head with another sewing machine mechanic.  They may have a different resolution to this that I do, and I don't want to get into a tit for tat, he said she said bruhaha.

But, I can tell you what I know for absolute sure; the hook supporting plate/bobbin case finger that holds the bobbin case/inside hook from spinning is hanging on by a finger nail, and does not go in far enough.  Unless this is taken care of, this will be an issue that will continue to plague this machine.  

A quick non permanent fix is to take the hook supporting plate off with the single flat head screw up under the bed of the machine, move the bobbin case inside onto the tab (this would be by lining up the red and green arrows in your image above), and then reinsert with the thread guard as it came out and tighten this screw.  From here you will be back up and running, hoping that you didn't disrupt the needle bar height like mentioned above.  From here, turn the machine by hand, and make sure the bobbin case opening lever is not jamming the inside of the hook up against the bobbin case opening finger.  Do this by making the sure the bobbin case inside is free at all times during the machine cycle by turning the hand wheel.  In should be limited when engaged with the bobbin case opening lever, but not locked, with at least a degree or two of to and fro action.  

Hope this helps, and if it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I have to, as I've seen this issue many times over doing my best to help folks out.  

Half-Fast

Jan,  I had this exact same problem.  Thanks to some GREAT support from Gregg and his dad Lenny (talking me through the fix as Gregg just outlined), I was able to get back in operation and learned a lot about the machine in the process. 

For all I new, there were little tiny elves under the deck that took care of all that hookin' and loopin' stuff and maybe I should lube them up with a drop or two of Irish whiskey.....  :P

Jeff

Grebo

Quote from: Half-Fast on February 07, 2011, 07:40:42 pm

For all I new, there were little tiny elves under the deck that took care of all that hookin' and loopin' stuff and maybe I should lube them up with a drop or two of Irish whiskey.....  :P

Jeff

You mean there isn't  :o   ;D

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Half-Fast on February 07, 2011, 07:40:42 pm
Jan,  I had this exact same problem.  Thanks to some GREAT support from Gregg and his dad Lenny (talking me through the fix as Gregg just outlined), I was able to get back in operation and learned a lot about the machine in the process. 

Jeff

Jeff, that's correct, same exact known issue.  Did you install the part we sent, or are you still using the same factory one?

Half-Fast

Jeff, that's correct, same exact known issue.  Did you install the part we sent, or are you still using the same factory one?

Took me all of 30 seconds to swap out the part Gregg.  Looking at them side-by-side, there is a definite difference between them.  I thought about sending the old one back (and still could if you'd like), but I'm sure you already know what I saw. 

The last time I had a problem, I called Keystone knowing you were closed for the day and that I would simply leave a message.  Your dad tried calling me back no less than 2-3 times that night...but my phone's battery had long since died.  The first call I received the next morning was from your dad!

There have been absolutely no probelms since then, except for a few broken needles....but I guess that's why they come in 6-packs!  ;D  Thanks for all of the great support that you, your dad and mom provide us customers of Keystone!

Jeff