Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 08, 2024, 07:41:53 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

staple remover?

Started by scarab29, February 04, 2011, 12:34:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scarab29

duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

fragged8

mine is like that, or it was until the moving piece broke off and its
much better now :-) a bit like using a screwdriver but it works.

Rich

MinUph

I had one of those years ago tried it a couple times and it went in the tool box. I've since thrown it out. If you ask me its junk. Might be good for wide crown staples that aren't driven in all the way.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Pegasus2007

I use the one with the wooden handle I got from Tri Vantage.  If there's something better, I'd love to know about it.

MinUph

Best one I have used is this. First link I found to a picture of it. The price is very high but you can see what it looks like.
http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/Upholstery-HardwareTack-Lifter-Staple-Remover.html
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

I've never used your type, Scarab29.

MinUph: The yellow handled one you show a picture of is the one that I use the most. I have several different types. When people prep furniture for me they all like that one best also.

I found it in a sofa about 2 years ago. I do not feel sorry for whoever left it in there because he/she also left potato chips under the new fabric.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

Gene, could you please return my staple puller?

Quote from: gene on February 04, 2011, 04:31:46 pm

I found it in a sofa about 2 years ago. I do not feel sorry for whoever left it in there because he/she also left potato chips under the new fabric.

Gene
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Peppy

February 04, 2011, 05:28:16 pm #7 Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:39:13 pm by Peppy
Quote from: gene on February 04, 2011, 04:31:46 pm
also left potato chips under the new fabric.

Thats awesome! Hope you found that before lunch!

The other upholsterer at the shop swears by the yellow handle miniuph ones. I use one of these; http://berrysstapleremover.com/ that and side cutters, and this thing I made myself;

I traced a hand saw handle and cut the pointy bit from some scrap steel laying around.

looks a little awkward here cause I'm trying to take a picture but you get the idea I hope. The other upholsterer uses a big flat head screw driver to do the same thing. The 'quicker ripperâ„¢' does the same thing less the skinned knuckles. Don't know if it works as good for fabric as it does for vinyl but I love it.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

sofadoc

That tool that scarab linked looks interesting. And it's cheap enough to gamble on. I think I'll get one. But it wouldn't suprise me at all if I end up agreeing with Paul about it (Hey, I'm a sucker for gadgets, even BAD ones).
I was thinking that it might come in handy for raising up staples next to delicate wood.
But I don't see it replacing the Berry's, or Osborn.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

FYI I've got the yells o e from Osborne.  Stabs
yself enough with it also.

MinUph

Peppy,
  I like your ripper. I might have to make one and see how works. I use a screwdriver also and it works fine with most fabrics. The only problem I see is the room needed for the steel. My screwdriver just fits between the edge of the wood and the staples. Seems most upholsterers staple close to the edge.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Keith,

I said "potato chips", not "saw dust".

:D

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

Most of the time I use the Berry but the Osborne tack lifter is handy for tight places, and like I've said I've modified the one chisel for the air hammer .
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

206RB

Has anyone tried one of those vibrating multi tools for stripping yet?

scottymc

Quote from: Mike8560 on February 05, 2011, 02:32:21 pm
FYI I've got the yells o e from Osborne.  Stabs
yself enough with it also.

Yes, the snake bite.

I've got an osborne but more often than not I use my trusty old flat screwdriver that's been sharpened and curved at the end