Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 02:40:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Is this where it's all going?

Started by sofadoc, February 01, 2011, 05:23:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I've been doing the booth seat upholstery for a local restaurant for several years now.
Several years ago, I did the entire restaurant. But since then, it's only been 1 or 2 seats at a time. Maybe 3 or 4 a year at the most.
I got an e-mail from the corporate office yesterday, saying that if I wanted to continue doing their work, I would have to attend a "Vendor's Forum" at a hotel 300 miles away (right in the middle of the work week). I replied by telling them that while I DO appreciate their business, I wouldn't be able to attend.
I just don't do enough work for them to justify killing a couple of days.
Seems like many of the commercial jobs now require jumping through a lot of hoops.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Hey,

There's only one hoop they want their vendors to jump through: lower your prices.

Those types of forums are to discuss (pressure) vendors into lowing their prices. The company usually wants them to come up with creative ways to do this. Actually, sometimes they actually come up with some awesome ideas.

Small vendors, like yourself, usually aren't affected by this. You are usually not even expected to attend. What is your annual billing? How much is 10% of that? Enough to get them excited?

You may want to follow up with your contact at the company after the forum just to make sure that they haven't found that the vegetable supplier also does booth upholstery.

Good luck. Every dollar helps.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

Tell them you'll be delighted to attend in return for accommodations and meals for you and your wife and a small stipend to help defray the cost of the work you will be unable to perform while you're attending their "required" forum. 

Seriously, I would be surprised if they didn't have a way to accommodate small, self-employed service providers such as yourself.  Perhaps your polite note to that effect will be enough to kick the bureaucracy into some action on your behalf. 

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: bobbin on February 02, 2011, 02:22:03 am
Seriously, I would be surprised if they didn't have a way to accommodate small, self-employed service providers such as yourself.  Perhaps your polite note to that effect will be enough to kick the bureaucracy into some action on your behalf. 

Right, maybe you are not talking to the correct people, or thier 'Vendor's Forum' is directed at people who have larger accounts.

Saddleman

Send them an invoice for the time and expenses.  It's called consulting...I'm sure they will understand....LOL   ;D