Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 10:22:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Marketing

Started by jojo, January 26, 2011, 09:49:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi Everyone,

I just moved to Pennsylvania from California a few months ago. I put an ad in the classifieds for a couple of weeks, hand out business cards everywhere I go, have an ad on craigslist services section, and post my flyer on any bulleting board I see. I have gotten a few jobs, but not enough to make a living.

I know that word of mouth is the best way to get business, but I want to expedite the process. Any suggestions? I have experience in upholstery, auto, marine and commercial.  How can I get business quickly? I tried working for someone else for $10 an hour, and it was awful; it killed me to do big jobs by myself and only get $10 an hour! Plus, the guy was a giant a**hole.

The demand is here; just having trouble finding it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jo

kodydog

Try typing up a business resume and going to all the local decorators. I've relocated twice and this worked good for me.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Saddleman

Sounds like you are working most of the angles.  Have you considered doing some speculation pieces.

Try some different listing on Craigslist.  Put a listing under furniture for sale.  Like "Recover your Sofa....XXXX $$$"  Same for Auto, boats ...etc.  Heck it is free, so why not.

Loren

KenB

A website may help in a more populated area.
you can find hosting for less than $10 per month.
hidden html tags need to be filled out and on visible page
such as
Jo's Upholstery Patterson PA Reupholstery
"The more you depend upon conditions outside yourself for happiness, the less happiness you will experience" -Yogananda

jojo

These are all good ideas. I actually do have a domain name and hosting, I just don't know how to make an actual website. I used their (the hosting company's)template to put up a temporary page, but am not at all happy with it, and just have to learn html, and basic SEO techniques. I really do believe a website is the key.

Mike8560

Quote from: Saddleman on January 26, 2011, 12:08:22 pm

Try some different listing on Craigslist.  Put a listing under furniture for sale.  Like "Recover your Sofa....XXXX $$$"  Same for Auto, boats ...etc.  Heck it is free, so why not.

Loren
I tried putti v a add under boatss for sale would t that be the same as furniture for sale inwas Flagg and removed. I put one under marine services I guesse that was ok

Saddleman

Quote from: Mike8560 on January 27, 2011, 06:56:09 am

I tried putti v a add under boatss for sale would t that be the same as furniture for sale inwas Flagg and removed. I put one under marine services I guesse that was ok

Who cares if it is flagged and removed.  Craigslist is user administered, so you had some know it all flag your ad because they are a control freak  :o. 

Relist and move on.  8)

I would not list as a service.  List as an item for sale like "Custom 18 Ft boat cover made from....etc  $$$" Then company name, website and information about what else you do.  It is marketing....just getting your name out there and letting people know you exist and what you do.  It will bring in other work even if you never sell the item you are actually listing.

Loren

jojo

Thanks, Loren. That is a good idea!

Ihavenoname

January 28, 2011, 10:32:16 am #8 Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:39:46 am by OneBoneHead
Here is an idea. Look at what the top shops in your location are doing to get customers and do that. Skip TV or Radio and limit your use of the phone books. A web site is good. You can also get  a sign for your truck and park it at marinas and around boating stores. Leave it for a few hours. Also walk around marina with your tool bag and say you where just putting in a bid but can't seem to find the guy. Maybe I miss understood what marina he was at. Keep lots of cards and stay on top of peoples minds. Also you can go to the marina hand out your card and say you are giving a canvas audit, a $69 value, for free and will fix anything that takes less then 15 minutes to repair. Be firm but polite. IF asked why,tell the truth and say you are starting your own business after "Blank" years in upholstery, and just want to get the word out. Besides working on something is better then looking at the phone wishing.

PS $10 an your is not really that bad if all you do is upholstery and the shop covers the overhead and marketing. If you are lucky you will make $5 an hour starting out. Expect to work harder for less upholstering in your own business then you ever have before. You can easily spend 3 to 4 hours a day in sales, marketing, and paperwork. That only leave you 21 hours to do upholstery in a day. Enjoy.

jojo

Thanks for the marina suggestion, and I will get a sign for my car, too.

Yeah, paying an employee $10 an hour for pulling staples and cleaning up is fair, but not someone with skill and experience. Luckily, I have little overhead, as I'm working out of my basement.

Exotic Leather

I just built a website for our company, and it's getting good results, but we are more of a supplier rather than an upholstery company.  We have many different domain names and have them pointing to eachother to help with search engine rankings.  See: www.exoticleatherco.com, www.nuvtex.com to name a couple.

Get ahold of curtis@curtissmeltzer.com and he can hook your company up too.

stew-cheryl

Nice website, what host did you go with?

Ihavenoname

February 16, 2011, 11:34:10 am #12 Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:36:08 am by OneBoneHead
I use Godaddy with a deluxe account. With a Deluxe account you can host as many domains as you want. It's about $120 a year I think. If you want free FTP hosting I also have used www.000webhost.com with good results.

Avoid hostway.com they are rotten. I get them from Costco. Hostway.com was sold and is not as good as they were. Costco needs to drop them if they have not already.

Correction wrong link now updated for www.000webhost.com

Exotic Leather

My website is hosted through fatcow. http://www.fatcow.com/join/index.bml?AffID=563294&LinkName=upholstery-forum

Sign up thru my link and get a 40% discount.  It's really reliable, and they have good customer service.

stew-cheryl

Did you use their web builder? Or something else