Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:15:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Question about Engel Hot Knife cutting surface???

Started by hdflame, January 24, 2011, 08:16:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hdflame

I just bought an Engel Hot Knife and was thinking about buying the cutting foot for it.  Is it better to use the cutting foot or put a piece of formica on top of my table to cut on?

I also need two bulbs for it.  Does anyone know if they can be bought locally at somewhere like an auto parts store, or if I have to order them from a Engel wholesaler?

Thanks!
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

JuneC

Buy the foot.  I can't imagine using mine without it.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

I e got the foot bit I got to say I've takenine off and just use the axe allot   
I doo have. Formica tabletop. I don't. Use it so much to actually cut the sunbrella as it leaves a ruff edge that can marr rhe boat but I ro you it more for
like cutting offzilpers or thick binding on my covers or the top of coil zip
smiley windows   Bit vet the foot you might like it it does save the table.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

I'm asking everyones opinion who has the Engle cutter I sell, BUT don't have this cutting base, cutting foot type SF

Do you have one, want one, or what?

Seen here in the bottom most image; https://www.keysew.com/Demo_images/HSG-0_with cutter guide.pdf

scottymc

I've got one of those knives Gregg, I use a block off steel underneath when I'm cutting webbing, but being the slacker that I am I usually just burn the bench. So it would probably be a good fit for me. How much are they, I expect you would sell them much cheaper than in Australia, I've never seen one here.

bobbin

I bought the foot when I purchased my Engel hot knife.  I've nearly always used it with the foot in place.  I've noticed that sometimes the knife will kick up some crumbly acrylic crap when used, usually when I try to push the knife through goods too quickly .  Usually I can fix the problem by adjusting the alignment of the blade and the foot.  My foot doesn't have the guard to keep fingers away from the knife surface.  I like that guard. 

But, that said, I want to get a piece of sheet metal around 18-24"x36-40" long to use as a cutting surface if I want to work without the foot in place.  I don't want to wreck the surfaces of my tables.  I can see that there would be applications when not having the foot in place would be handy. 

Gregg, my manual shows a variety of different cutting tips that can be added to the knife but I've never seen them offered for sale in any of the catalogues in the shop.  Do you carry them or can you get them?

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: scottymc on January 24, 2011, 12:29:28 pm
I've got one of those knives Gregg, I use a block off steel underneath when I'm cutting webbing, but being the slacker that I am I usually just burn the bench. So it would probably be a good fit for me. How much are they, I expect you would sell them much cheaper than in Australia, I've never seen one here.

$189 with the most popular 100R cutting blade.  I haven't priced this recently, and know prices were all over the place last time I checked.  

Mojo

I thought I would add this here for people interested in a hot knife and wanting to save a few bucks.

Harbor freight sells a hot knife on sale for $ 19.99. Do yourself a big favor and do NOT buy it. It wont  cut Sunbrella. The wattage is to low and it does not reach a high enough temp, even at the highest setting.

I would check with Greg ( his price is the lowest I have found so far ) or your supplier or whomever for an Engle or possibly another brand ( if they make them ). The Harbor Freight knife will not cut the material we need it to cut. :)

Lesson learned.

Chris

P.S. - Has anyone ever used this type of hot knife / cutter ?

http://www.miamicorp.com/default.aspx?page=item%20detail&itemcode=HK60

Peppy

We use the blade without the foot on a piece of masonite we lay on the cutting table. Never saw the foot before actually.

Maybe thats why you have problems cutting 2 layers at once June?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

hdflame

Quote from: Mojo on January 24, 2011, 04:23:12 pm
I thought I would add this here for people interested in a hot knife and wanting to save a few bucks.

Harbor freight sells a hot knife on sale for $ 19.99. Do yourself a big favor and do NOT buy it. It wont  cut Sunbrella. The wattage is to low and it does not reach a high enough temp, even at the highest setting.

I would check with Greg ( his price is the lowest I have found so far ) or your supplier or whomever for an Engle or possibly another brand ( if they make them ). The Harbor Freight knife will not cut the material we need it to cut. :)

Lesson learned.

Chris

P.S. - Has anyone ever used this type of hot knife / cutter ?

http://www.miamicorp.com/default.aspx?page=item%20detail&itemcode=HK60

Chris,

That just looks like a soldering iron to me.

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Mojo

That's what it looks like to me too Bobby.

:)

Chris

hdflame

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on January 24, 2011, 12:47:52 pm
Quote from: scottymc on January 24, 2011, 12:29:28 pm

$189 with the most popular 100R cutting blade.  I haven't priced this recently, and know prices were all over the place last time I checked.  

Gregg,

How much for just the foot for the knife?
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

100R Wide angle cut blade 30mm is $40 in stock, thanks for asking. 

Grebo

January 26, 2011, 09:05:16 am #14 Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:06:51 am by Grebo
I have the knife & bought the foot guard a couple of years ago. Handy if you want to cut without a table about but personally I get on with it better without it on. But then if I had a nice new table top I would probably persevere with it. I have a handme down white melamine table which was already covered in scars.  :'(
But I am hardly complaining it got thrown in when I bought my pfaff 545.  :P