Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 12:32:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Can Someone Date This For Me

Started by Mojo, January 15, 2011, 04:26:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I picked this tin container up off E-Bay a while back and was wondering the following

1.) What decade was it from ?  30" s ?  40's ? 50's ? 60's ?

2.) What came inside it when new ? ( Thread ? )

I know we have some old people on here that may have seen one of these so I thought I would ask. :)

Thanks gang,

Chris

Here is the pic of the item - http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x200/throgmartin/Up%20Shop/?action=view&current=Shopdecorations4.jpg

Cheryl

well clearly I'm not old enough..  :P    Hahaha!     But you could email that pic  to the Burch company and I bet they'd be happy to tell you.   http://www.burchfabrics.com/index.php/about/contact
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

sofadoc

A Burch salesman was in my grandparents shop when the news broke that JFK had been killed. I was 5 at the time. I was playing on the cutting table.
There's another bit of Burch memorabilia that I'd like to find.
It was a picture of a hobo holding all of his worldly possessions in a bag tied to a stick hanging over his shoulder.
The caption read: "I made mine in the upholstery business"
The picture came from Burch. It hung in my grandmother's shop for many years. I don't know what became of it, but I saw one just like it recently at the home of a retired upholsterer.
Anybody remember that one?
Chris: How big is that tin?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Cheryl

Sofadoc...  you might ask  PapaSage  at Carrs...  he's got couple years on most of us...
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

Mojo

Doc:

The tin is about 4 to 5 inches tall.

BTW, keep an eye on e-bay for that ad. I have bought a lot of ad's off e-bay. :)

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

I asked my Mom, who is 66 years old, sitting behind me.  Burch was an upholstery supplier, but she does not believe the thread was made by them, only sold under their name.

Thread is maybe 30 years old (and if my Mom says that, I've learned better to add on +10 years minimum!@#).

sofadoc

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on January 17, 2011, 05:51:30 am
Thread is maybe 30 years old (and if my Mom says that, I've learned better to add on +10 years minimum!@#).

I'm thinking older. I was running around in the shop in the early 60's. We had Burch EVERYTHING. I don't remember a tin like that. My grandmother worked up until the early 90's. Believe me, if she had one of those tins in the 60's, she would've still had it when she retired, since she never threw ANYTHING away.
It kinda looks like it might have been a container for curve nedle thread. I wonder if it had a cap of some kind?

Mojo

It looks like the top was cut off Doc.

I guess I am going to have to contact Burch and send them the pic and see what they say.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Chris

bigdaddygary

Looks like it might  be a oil can with the top cut off.

fragged8

Mojo

I heard back from Burch on the tin I have.

I am surprised as I thought for sure this was something that held thread. Oil sounded like a possibility but then the tin was dry and showed no oil residue on the inside.

It turned out that this tin contained " tacks ". They shipped these to their customers filled with tacks and the customer then cut the top open to remove the tacks.

They said the tin was back from the 30's so that would make it approximately 80 years old.
( That is about the same age as Darren I believe ).

So the mystery is solved. I guess we were all wrong on the dates and the contents.

Chris

sofadoc

I wonder if it was cone-shaped to make it easier to pour them into your mouth?

Chill

harder to spill a cone, but I would find a way.