Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:59:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Juki 1541 vs 1508.... help me decide

Started by JanChristian, January 11, 2011, 10:41:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Chris,

Thanks for the reply, nice post and kind words.  I did not take thing personally, but I did get a sense of someone walking into a pizza place, and asking out loud "Hey, anybody know where I can get a good slice of pizza?"

LOL.  Not the first or last time.

As for supporting local businesses, I have in the past and will continue to recommend to customers as well as you that in many cases, if possible, buying local has it's advantages.  Ask both my suppliers and my customers in the greater Philadelphia area.

Also, I agree that me being here is for mutual benefit.  I like to be here to learn new things, ready what people 'really feel' about certain suppliers, and items, so that I can learn what they value.

I also hope to make this a better place by doing my part to help out where I can.  Often, I find myself doing quite a bit of research to find the correct answer for a message board poster who I will never meet personally, and I know for what ever reasons will never be a customer of mine.  I think that great, and all part of the on line community. 

BTW...this is not my only message board I post on, and I can be found on some that if your not thick skinned, you are going to get eaten alive, as people go in knowing they are going to get flamed.  Kind of like verbal sparring.  Different message board, different people, but great if you like Mom jokes and potty humor!

sofadoc

I haven't had any major sewing machine conundrums thus far. But as for the little questions, Gregg has been very helpful, not only on this board, but over the phone as well.
I haven't had the pleasure of talking to Bob. But I'm sure that he's as good as everyone says he is.
The fact that Gregg, or Bob would spend a great deal of time talking someone through an involved repair process over the phone boggles my mind.
Do-it-yourselfers call me all the time with upholstery "how-to" questions.
I'm always more than happy to give them free advice........to a point.
When the questions get too "in depth", I tell them to come into the shop for a free demonstration of the technique in question.
But, I have to draw the line somewhere.
Frankly, I wouldn't feel right asking Gregg, or Bob to talk me through a long drawn out timing process, or a more complicated repair.
My machines have needed timing only a few times in the last 30 years. Sometimes, I was able to do it myself. But if I got bogged down, I didn't hesitate to toss the head in my truck, and haul it to a service center.

BTW This is NOT meant as a criticism of any one who has asked them for help. Chris, for example, bought his machine from Bob, and I think it's great that Bob provides plenty of "tech support".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

If Bob knew I was going to be such a pain in the ass he probably would have preferred I bought from Greg....:) Actually I talk to Bob at least once every couple weeks and most of the time it has nothing to do with machines. We spend our time trying to solve the worlds problems. I really enjoy hearing the stories about the work he does at the Amish farms or some of his large corporate clients such as the prison system. :)

I have a great deal of respect for any business owner that gives superior customer service. You know the old saying " if you don't cater to your customers, someone else will ". :)

I didn't want Greg or anyone else to think I do not appreciate it when anyone on this forum takes their time to explain something to me or someone else. I truly appreciate all of their input. We are extremely lucky because we have an awesome group of people on this forum who continually go the extra mile to help out a fellow tradesperson. And the beauty is that we have some excellent people who know their trade and are willing to share their secrets here.

It's all good.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Mojo on January 15, 2011, 03:32:06 pm
If Bob knew I was going to be such a pain in the ass he probably would have preferred I bought from Greg....:) Actually I talk to Bob at least once every couple weeks and most of the time it has nothing to do with machines. We spend our time trying to solve the worlds problems. I really enjoy hearing the stories about the work he does at the Amish farms or some of his large corporate clients such as the prison system. :)

I have a great deal of respect for any business owner that gives superior customer service. You know the old saying " if you don't cater to your customers, someone else will ". :)

I didn't want Greg or anyone else to think I do not appreciate it when anyone on this forum takes their time to explain something to me or someone else. I truly appreciate all of their input. We are extremely lucky because we have an awesome group of people on this forum who continually go the extra mile to help out a fellow tradesperson. And the beauty is that we have some excellent people who know their trade and are willing to share their secrets here.

It's all good.

Chris

Absolutely.  I never wavered thinking that we were not on the same page here, no doubt.

JanChristian

I explained my 562 problem to the place I'm getting the 1541S from and they asked if I have a backlash spring underneath the bobbin. Does anyone know how to check this? I don't have a repair manual.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Factory Juki DNU-1541S bobbin case has an anti back lash spring installed on this large bobbin machine.

LU-562/3 never came from the factory with anti back lash spring.  Your regular bobbin LU-562 does not normally suffer from over spin, as the bobbin does not have the same size/or weight as a larger bobbin does.  Normally this is not a problem on this style bobbin, pre wound G, as the LU-562 or similar Singer 111W series.  Many, many other machines use this same bobbin.

If you do need an anti backlash spring, there are two common styles, a 'star', and coil spring that goes under the bobbin, and is inserted before you put the bobbin in. 

To back up, over spin normally occurs from a large, heavy bobbin when it comes to an abrupt stop, or when an operator 'jerks' the work out of the machine, resulting in an over spin. 

The folks who sold you your machine should be aware of these two items, and if not, I can provide you with part numbers to give them.  I don't know why you would need these for your LU-562 IMHO though.