Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 08:41:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

wage rate for auto upholsterer

Started by rf, January 04, 2011, 02:21:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rf

No answers nobody wants to say ? any jobs out their for experience auto trimmer 30 years in trade fully trained in auto upholstery,marine,aero, home upholstery and teacher.

SHHR

I would go at look at the states you are interested in through their official websites and see if they have a job search site. For example: my state of Indiana has a website called IndianaCareerConnect.com. I looked there a while back for upholsterer job listings just to see what was out there and found a few in the $8 - $10 per hr. range, and that was for someone experienced. Like you mentioned the south or west coast probably pays much better especially if you get hooked up with a popular company, then again cost of living is a lot higher too. Another thing check Hemmings Motor News from time tio time there are shops that advertise wanting help in there for experienced trimmers as well for big restoration shops. Hope this helps some.
Kyle

seamsperfect

Quote from: rf on January 04, 2011, 02:21:15 pm
No answers nobody wants to say ? any jobs out their for experience auto trimmer 30 years in trade fully trained in auto upholstery,marine,aero, home upholstery and teacher.

You might find a job from these listings.
Kevin
http://www.indeed.com/q-Upholsterer-jobs.html

kodydog

Don't know if your still out there RF but I've been doing some serous job searching myself these last few months and hears what I found. If you have experience in aerospace upholstery and are willing to move just punch it into your browser and you should get some hits. Most of the aerospace companies out source through an employment agency which means when you go to their site you have to surf through a bunch of ads and they won't let you apply with out an e-mail address. Which means a lot of spam. BUT I have had 2 people call with temporary jobs (4 months or longer) and this industry pays good.

Type in upholstery jobs in NC on your browser and you'll find about 20 factory jobs. the going rate there is about $15 per hour. You can apply on line but I'd suggest spending a week there and apply in person to all the manufactures seeking help.

Another good place to look is Craigslist.

If you haven't already, make a one page resume. Theirs some good web sites that can help you do this. The best luck I've had is making cold calls to different shops. The good thing about this is it gives you a chance to check them out. Most shops are real slow right now but give them a resume anyway. And do a follow up call to the ones that appeal to you about a week later. I've had 2 offers this way and 2 others thinking about it.

A few weeks back a prison was looking for a shop teacher (I think it was in Arkansas). It payed about $25 per hour. I don't know why but they think prisoners would make good upholsters. Check the different state websites.

You have an advantage that you do auto upholstery. Post some pictures of your work on this website. You never know their might be someone looking for an experienced auto trimmer.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

kodydog

Hears one that was in my in box this morning from monster.com. Weiland designs in Goshen In. Their looking for upholsters and sewers
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html