Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:28:39 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Foam for a hot tub cover

Started by MinUph, January 02, 2011, 12:42:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

I've been trying to find a place to buy the foam core for a hot tub. I have written to 3 or 4 of the local manufactures around Tampa and they all say they won't sell it retail. I did write from my companies account to no avail.
  Does anyone have any ideas? This would be around 90" x 90" tapered cut from 4" - 2 1/2".
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SHHR

I recover old covers from time to time for a pool company up here and also for individuals, and lots of these covers have the blue styrofoam insulation board like you buy at Lowes. some are two layers of 2" and other one layer of 2" and one of 1" with the joints staggard and glued together with liquid nails construction adhesive. Everyone I've seen has held up really well and i have replaced some damaged pieces before in the same way as I've described.
Kyle

MinUph

Hi Kyle,
  So these inserts aren't tapered? Wouldn't the water puddle if they are just flat?

Thanks for the input.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SHHR

I've seen them both way, tapered and flat. A larger one like the one you mentioned probably should be tapered. That foam shapes pretty good. Rough shape it with a long blade sharp knife or a foam saw, then either a deft touch with a grinder to finish it off or a long board with a piece of say 80 grit sandpaper on it will make quick work of it to taper it down. Just remember light pressure with what ever you use.
Kyle

Mike8560

The cover on my hot tub at my last house was just a flat cover probly 3 1/2" or 4" thick.

MinUph

Quote from: SHHR on January 02, 2011, 02:55:02 pm
I've seen them both way, tapered and flat. A larger one like the one you mentioned probably should be tapered. That foam shapes pretty good. Rough shape it with a long blade sharp knife or a foam saw, then either a deft touch with a grinder to finish it off or a long board with a piece of say 80 grit sandpaper on it will make quick work of it to taper it down. Just remember light pressure with what ever you use.
Kyle

OK So this seems do-able. Since you have done these before how do you reinforce for the hinge? I can probably use my old hinge. (This cover is for my tub) and I know there must be reinforcements inside the insert. Do you just glue a strip of metal?
  Thanks Kyle, and Mike
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

MinUph

Quote from: Mike8560 on January 02, 2011, 05:21:22 pm
The cover on my hot tub at my last house was just a flat cover probly 3 1/2" or 4" thick.

Mike, mine is outside on a patio in full sun and rain. Even though the cover on it is tapered it still puddles water. Also the weight of the water tends to warp the foam and then it gets worse from there on.
  Thanks for the input though.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SHHR

I've seen different ways at the hinge too. smaller covers are just two halves with the hinge nothing more than a strip of doubled up vinyl sewn in the upper inside seams of the cover, then one half folds over the other then lifted off of the tub. larger covers and especially the ones with the large arms mounted on the side to fold the whole cover up and off of the tub have an aluminum formed channel that sandwiches the edge of the styrofoam. Hinges and hardware fasten to that. The liquid nails seems to hold it all together pretty well and you can use stainless hardware through it too for added strength. Keep in mind too, a vinyl cover that fits over all of this also helps hold it together. I've always been able to use all the old hardware and brackets, but I have a lot of metalworking tools and a sheet metal brake if I ever had to make a channel like I described. If you need something like that made and don't have access to that equipment look for a good HVAC company. Most of those guys have the equipment to make up duct work and can bend up what you'll need.
Kyle

206RB

I used to try to make money making those things, but when I added up the time and materials, it just wasn't worth it.
I have a friend that works for CalSpa now, so I just order them from him and take the markup and I'm a happy boy.
www.calspa.com

SHHR

Quote from: 206RB on January 02, 2011, 06:08:17 pm
I used to try to make money making those things, but when I added up the time and materials, it just wasn't worth it.
I have a friend that works for CalSpa now, so I just order them from him and take the markup and I'm a happy boy.
www.calspa.com

Yeah I don't make them either, The pool company I do repairs for asked me once to do a quote for new ones and there was no way I could compete with the company he used to buy new ones from. He builds the cover cost into all of the new tubs he sells and I would cut into his profits pretty bad. He doesn't mind me for the repairs though since his customers are usually wanting a quicker turnaround than an order from the factory would be. It's just good for me they use fairly crappy vinyl and it doesn't last too long!
Kyle

bobbin

I hate those damned things!  I cringe every time I see one come into the shop for repair.  They're made of cheap vinyl, the zippers are invariably coil and about 3 sizes too small for the sort of abuse they receive.  Any webbing buckles are stitched through the vinyl only, maybe a teeny piece of reinforcement under them. 

The zippers are always breaking and vinyl tears in the corners or under the straps.  Getting the foam out of them is definitely no fat lady's dream and getting it back in is not much fun, either.  And once you get it out you're left with a stinking, sodden pile of vinyl to wrestle under the needle.  And! they want it back that afternoon (losing heat in the hot tub, you know!) and invariably grouse about the price... "well, it's only a little tear, that price seems awfully high to me... I'd do it myself or have my wife do it but we don't have time". 

Spare me!   ::)

ahkahn

Yeah, the vinyl used on hot tub covers is about the cheapest stuff on the market.  That has been a business that has been decimated by the economy over the last 10 years.  The hot tub covers are so cheaply made now that there is no hope for longevity.  Your best bet is to do what 206RB does and find a regional manufacturer (they are always within 150 miles of you because those things don't ship well) and buy/resell one. 

-Andrew

jojo

Say the foam core is in great shape and you just want to make a new vinyl cover. What kind of vinyl would you guys use?

MinUph

I was planning on using a marine grade vinyl.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Peppy

☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠