Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 09:25:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Brother Machine ID ?

Started by fragged8, December 28, 2010, 03:13:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

hi Guys

Could someone ID this brother machine i got on ebay please.
It has a servo motor so worth the £137 sterling I paid .

bobbin

Throw us a bone, Rich! how about a serial #?

The head looks like the same one I used to work on in the early/mid '80s; that machine was a basic, high speed drop feed machine, though it was a full function machine (tack and trim).  Your new machine doesn't appear to be full function.  I'm thinking the motor is new? 

At that time, I preferred the full function machines offered by Brother and Mitsubishi to those from Juki (there was one in the shop and everyone hated it!).  They functioned more smoothly and allowed greater range of adjustment.  Juki clearly went "back to school" and put a lot of time, research, and engineering into improving their line. 

My guess is that if it's a drop feed machine you will really like the way it handles the lighter weight fabrics you encounter, although you may not like the way a basic, drop feed machine deals with multiple layers of cloth... think of applying welting... or working on upholstery velveteens/chenilles.  But it can be done! trust me, I did it for years on my 1929 Singer 31-15 and machinery doesn't get more basic than that. 

How did your chenille project turn out?

fragged8

hiya

now there by hangs a story :-)

I bought the machine hoping to use it on the chenille job.
do you think I may have wasted my time ?

Rich

bobbin

Not necessarily, Rich.  But I'm not savvy enough about machines to be be able to tell whether it's a needle feed machine or a drop feed machine by just looking at the picture.  But if it's a drop feed machine and you are unaccustomed to them (the feed dogs are the only thing moving the fabric under the needle) you may find the presser foot will have a tendency  to push the top layer of cloth forward on the bottom one. 

That was what my 31-15 used to do when faced with heavier napped fabrics.  I recall one very frustrating experience with an upholstery weight velveteen that convinced me to purchase my Juki 562.  When it was time to replace the 31-15 I knew I wanted a needle feed machine (the needle bar moves forward and helps feed the goods from the top as well as the feed dogs, but there is no walking foot involved). 

I was rather hoping Gregg would chime in on this one, actually.  I have a variety of feet for my 31-15 that are actually very helpful  and he may be able to recommend some good things for you. 

Have you had a chance to run it yet? do you like it? is it fast?

fragged8

Hiya

you're right its a drop feed machine and i've not used one before
my Juki is needle feed and so was my last machine.

It hasn't been delivered yet so i'll let you know how i get on with it.

As for fast, my Juki has a variable speed that is controlled on a computer
panel so i normally turn it down to 2000 spm. this new/old one
is 5000  EEK ! but i'm hoping with the servo motor it will be variable
so i can dial it down.

Rich

Mike8560

Pardon my ignorance.  What is meant by drop
feed ?  Rich that looks like a. Rotherham o for for 50 bucks at the dump on e the machine sewed but there was a priblemwith it's zig zH feature with the needle
hitting   I didn't like tbenleft side bobbin plate didn't work with. Mt right side mounted singer and juke   Inder wet upsso I gave it away. I e still got the motor and table.

bobbin

Drop feed means that the needle bar goes up and down only, the feed dogs are the only way to move the fabric under the needle.  Most "home" machines are drop feeds. 

Needle feed means that the needle bar actually moves forward pulling the goods under the needle from the top while the feed dogs pull it under the needle.  You get a very even feed.

The machines that we typically use in marine canvas/upholstery are needle feed machines with the added feature of the walking foot. 

Mike8560

Ok I thought that was a. Compound Feed the needle moving also.

Mojo

Quote from: Mike8560 on December 30, 2010, 05:32:39 pm
Ok I thought that was a. Compound Feed the needle moving also.

Confusing huh ?

I get all messed up on the names myself Mike. :)

Chris

fragged8

Mike
I got the machine because it is a lighter weight machine than my Juki. The compound feed thing
is just a matter of terms i think, different people call them different things but they are the same.

Got a big Cheque before xmas so have put an offer in on a new house where I can build a 6m x 14m
workshop in the garden.  fingers crossed

Bobbin
I ended up stapling the Chenille together, reduced the tension, used a 16 needle and it looks loads better
thanks. It is taking forever to sew though.

My machine has a foot height dial on the top so i can step the foot higher or lower for thicker fabrics
so i have been stepping the foot higher also.

thanks for the help.

bobbin

Rich, are you using the new machine or "old faithful" for the chenille job?

I "cut my teeth" on the really fast, "production" machines and I love them.  I like a machine that is quick and "trappy" when you depress the treadle, but that's really a personal preference.  I've found that the Servo motors are really terrific when it comes to delivering that sort of responsiveness on heavier duty machinery or regardless of the speed setting (no such thing in the old days of clutch motors!).  I absolutely love my Juki 1541, it's so easy to get just one stitch when that's what you want.  I've really come to value that feature on my J. 9010, too.    I have the topside dial that allows me to adjust the step of the foot on my 1541, too.  It's fabulous.   In fact, I find myself reaching for it when I'm at "my job" and the Consew 255RB bogs down on some aspect of the work, only to be disappointed. 

I made some draperies for my own workroom over the Christmas break and thought of you several times when I was sitting in front of my needle feed Juki, doing "lighter weight" work.  (I had a total blast, too! I've worked in "dirty land" for so long I'd nearly forgotten how much fun it can be to sew in a nice shop!).

Exciting news on the new house!

fragged8

January 03, 2011, 12:44:20 pm #11 Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 12:46:09 pm by fragged8
hiya

I'm still using the Juki as the new/old one hasn't arrived yet, this week hopefully.

The workshop i have at the moment is my step dads garage and it's messyville
he is such a slob hehe It gets really depressing working amongst his muck.

I'm gonna be in heaven if can build a workshop just for me, If it works out I'm having
about the size of a 3 car garage and its going to stay clean if it kills me :-)

That Juki foot lift dial is soo handy isn't it, do you have the high step button too
to get instant full height step ?

BTW i didn't see any pics of the new drapes ? :-)

Rich

scottymc

Hey Rich , I'd like to thank you poms for giving us a good thrashing and taking the Ashes, hopefully they'll stop playing cricket in Australia now.

bobbin

OK, this one is headin' for the ditch now, you guys!  Beware.

Rich, I don't have the button that gives the fullest, highest step automatically.  Anyone ordering a new machine should definitely split the leather for it; you never miss what you never knew, but once you've seen "gay Paris" there ain't no goin' back! ;)  It's unbelievably nice to just turn a dial and have the step adjusted for those high, bulky seams. 

As for the new shop... I am not a neat freak by a long shot, but nothing squelches efficiency/creativity faster than being surrounded by clutter, disorganization, and accumulated grime/filth during "work" hours.  Ask me how I know this... 

My own shop was designed with cleaning in mind, Rich.  All the tables are on casters (buy the proper size and weight bearing capability, this is important and I can help) and my tools are stored on sturdy, rolling carts.  I use wall space for storage and sort things into logical categories and keep them in clear storage bins with lids.  I keep those bins under my cutting tables.  I have an inventory of what's inside those bins taped to the exterior.  (It's taken me a few months to go through all the accumulated stock I have! and I've given a ton of it away and put another ton out by the road!).  If you don't know what you have you can't put a value on it and you won't know what to charge for it... and storing crap you won't likely use is a waste of valuable space.  Get rid of it and free  your mind!

My shop was a total pit following the Christmas blitz (including making evergreen Christmas decorations) and I timed the cleaning yesterday.  It took me 1 hour to vacuum the entire shop (24'x36') and that included vacuuming the shelves under the rolling tables (5) and spritzing down the cutting surfaces.  It was completely painless.  If you want your shop to be clean you have to plan for easy cleaning!  I've worked in a lot of shops over the years and to a one, none of them were ever planned to make cleaning easy.  The predictable result was that they were never cleaned routinely and accumulated grime made the entire process more difficult than it needed to be when the necessity of cleaning became apparent.  This is a real "hot button" issue for me lately, mostly because I'm the only one who ever "cleans up" at my "job". 

No pictures of draperies, sorry to say.  Mostly because I was so "into it" that the camera never entered my mind and because I don't use Photobucket (the ad. thing).  But maybe I'll snap a few and post them to my picture hosting site.  I used fabric "on hand" and they turned out nicely for "use what you have and try to make it look spiffy".  They "get the job done" and that's the name of the game!

Mike8560

That sounds like dreat news rich I hope  they take the bid
maybe I'll vet some good news also.