Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 24, 2024, 11:06:14 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Westcott Titanium Scissors

Started by Mojo, December 13, 2010, 05:57:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I picked up a pair of these two years ago and didn't want to post anything about them till I had used them for a while and seen how well they hold an edge.

They have been an awesome set of scissors and have held their edge real well. I am still using them and they still cut excellent. I have cut just about every kind of fabric you can think of with them.

The thing I like about them is that they are comfortable and because they are so cheap I can toss them once they get dull. I do not know what it costs to have a pair of scissors sharpened but the time and money associated with that makes these scissors worthwhile.

Just thought I would pass this on. You can pick them up at WalMart or order them online.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PV374O/ref=asc_df_B001PV374O1352289?smid=A2YLYLTN75J8LR&tag=shopzilla_mp_1301-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B001PV374O

Chris

gene

I bought this same pair last month at Walmart. They do cut great. I hit a staple last week and it put a nick on the edge that caused it to not cut all the way. I ran a metal file lightly over the edge and it went back to cutting just like new. That hex key is an interesting gadget. I wonder why they included that?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Years ago, I got used to cutting with 12" shears. Anything smaller just wouldn't feel right in my hand. I love the weight of them. They practically do the work for you.
I have a supply salesman who brings them. They're $20. I get them sharpened about twice a year at a nearby beauty supply wholesaler for $4. I have to replace them about every 3-4 years.
I've tried some of those that Chris is talking about. Like Gene, when I hit a staple, they won't cut.  But even if I could file the nick away, I still don't like the lightweight feel.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Geeesssh guys. Scissors are made to cut fabric. Side cutters are made to cut staples. :)

Chris

SHHR

Quote from: gene on December 13, 2010, 05:12:06 pm
I bought this same pair last month at Walmart. They do cut great. I hit a staple last week and it put a nick on the edge that caused it to not cut all the way. I ran a metal file lightly over the edge and it went back to cutting just like new. That hex key is an interesting gadget. I wonder why they included that?

gene

I went to Wally World this morning and gave these a good look. I saw the hex key and then a hex screw at the joint. I remember a few years ago I bought a pair of Singer shears from a guy set up at a big car show for real cheap. He told me to never get them sharpened but to tighten the nut at the joint a little bit when they start to get dull. They cut great at first, but when they started dulling I tightened the screw a little. It worked decent for a couple of times but after that it made no difference in the cutting quality. I have them back in a tool box drawer somewhere, and someday I'll try to get them sharpened and see how they cut.
Kyle

gene

December 14, 2010, 03:51:11 pm #5 Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:54:08 pm by gene
Kyle, mine is doing well so far. I thought the hex key was just a gimick.

Chris: They are made of Titanium!!! Of course I thought you could cut staples and electrical wires and ply grip and pop cans and metal rebar and anything.

What I realized is that the reason they are made of Titanium!!! is that we will need them to cut fabric and thread that is made in China.

Japan dumped decades of toxic waste in their oceans and land fills. China has found a better way. They are putting their toxic waiste in the products that they make. This is why there is lead and merchury in toys and food and everything else. When these metal toxins are put into fabrics and threads, we will need to use Titanium!!! scissors.

It'll be great. We're sitting at the sewing machine working with fabric that actually glows in the dark. Think of the lower electric bills we will have.

You see, at the end of the movie Soylent Green, Detective Thorn, played by Charlton Heston, screams out as he is being taken away, "Soylent Green is PEOPLE!" We want to believe that this big secret will be kept secret from the poor slobs who are eating it. The fact is, the people already know, and they do not care.

Just keep our cable rates from getting too high and there will be no rioting.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Peppy

So then am I the only guy that sharpens his scissors? Wait I guess NDAV8R does too;

http://www.chaski.com/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=78424

We have the same jig but the purchased version. If sharp scissors are worth $10 to you, mail them up to me. I'll only charge you $5.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Darren Henry

Before I earned my apprenticeship as a shoe maker, I was a cobbler who also had to cut keys ,sharpen ice skates, and scissors/knives. I do it free hand with a very fine stone in the grinder.  ;) Secret is to keep your elbows locked to your torso and "sway" your body past the stone.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

BigJohn