Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 24, 2024, 10:50:22 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The next 3 things you want to add to your business

Started by bobbin, December 09, 2010, 02:44:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohn

You can tie the zig-zag springs in a restaurant booth seat together by clipping stake wire (tempered steel wire with paper wrapping it to prevent squeaking) to them, and I use 16 gauge.

Big John

sofadoc

Quote from: BigJohn on December 11, 2010, 06:27:45 pm
You can tie the zig-zag springs in a restaurant booth seat together by clipping stake wire (tempered steel wire with paper wrapping it to prevent squeaking) to them, and I use 16 gauge.

Bobbin: Yeah, what Big John said. I couldn't find a good pic to link. But it's the wire that connects the no-sag springs to each other to keep them stable.

Big John: All the factory (furniture) jobs have stake wire heavier than 16 ga. That's what I'm looking for. I need it mainly for recliners. 16 ga. just won't cut it on recliners. Too flimsy.
I have the vinyl coated wire also, but it's tough to get a tight crimp with it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

I bought one of those Hartco guns from a company going out of business when I lived in Hickory NC. I bought a box of the paper wrapped wire from Hickory Springs. It's a pretty big box. It lasted me about 10 years. They have a warehouse and office in Ocala Fl.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

Thanks for the explanation of the tool. 

A friend of mine loaned me his pneumatic Fasco stapler so I could try it out.  I have been using an electric one for several years now.  I now know what #4 on my list is going to be!  Wow, that stapler is light as a feather and it drives the staples effortlessly.  I'll be looking for the long nose model. 

Darren Henry

Quote1. a portable sewing machine to keep in the van

I still kick my backside that I let this fall through as I was moving out of the big shop; I had a treadle base from an old singer (domestic,but very stout) that I wanted to retro fit to accept my 111W155. Never got it finished,but as I see it:
>no power required
>any size that fits your van etc...
>same proven quality machine you know and love, less the heavy over sized table/motor.

I'll let Chris give you a " run down" of portable machines.  8) That'll be fun.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

BigJohn

After doing a search that Hickory Springs outfit that Kodydog mentioned has 11-16ga paper wrapped wire listed as OEM products, Kody dog do they sell to us?

kodydog

As far as I know they'll sell to anyone who has a business license. They sold to me.
I bought some foam from them about 5 years ago.

kodydog

If you want a smaller amount, another good source for edge wire is C&S Fabric in Savannah, Ga. The only problem is they sell it in 10' lengths and have to bend it to shop it. I'm not sure if they have paper wrapped. Phone # is 912-236-0800. Good luck.