Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 24, 2024, 11:11:42 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Stapler Recomendation

Started by M2, December 08, 2010, 05:15:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

M2

Ok, I posted earlier about repair parts for a BEA and it look like that is no go so now I am looking for a replacement. I have looked on this site at a EZE but I will consider other options.
This is how I use stapler:

Maybe once a month, personal work only.
50-50 fabric and vinyl.
Motorcycle seats, upholstery repair/replace for friend and personal.

I have worked in Maintenance all my life and understand the benefits of good tools but do I really need the most expensive for these jobs?

Thanks in advance.

Mojo

I am like you and rarely use my stapler which is why I didn't want to sink a bunch of money into one. So I opted for a Harbor Freight $ 29.00 special. I did manage to get it on sale for $ 19.95. :)

It is the 1/2 " crown model. It has worked great and I have had no problems with it. If it lasts only a couple years the  no worries. I will throw it out an buy another and still be money ahead. :)

If my work ever changes and I start getting into more projects that require heavy use of a stapler I will consider upgrading to a better model. But at this time I think it would be foolish as there are better places for me to put my money considering the work I do.

Just my humble opinion.

Chris

M2

Quote from: Mojo on December 08, 2010, 05:24:17 am

It is the 1/2 " crown model. It has worked great and I have had no problems with it. If it lasts only a couple years the  no worries. I will throw it out an buy another and still be money ahead. :)

Chris

Are staples easy to find for this stapler?
Mike

scarab29

bought a nice one from dlt , andrew here on the board for like 80 I think. 71 series staples. 1/2 in staples are everywhere too.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mojo

Are staples easy to find for this stapler?
Mike
[/quote]

I believe they shoot a common 1/2 inch crown 20 gauge staple. I bought a lot of staples when I bought the gun.

I just ordered 5,000 stainless staples  and they will be here in a few days. I can give you a better idea then.

Chris

kodydog

I'm sure you saw the suppliers section on this site. Upholstery Stuff.com has a gun for $49.95. Don't know if its any good. It doesn't have a name brand. If your looking for parts for a Bea. Try Greenhouse Fabrics. They sell kits for Bea. If you decide to buy new, I bought a model # 71/16-421 from them about 5 years ago. Back then it was on sale for $120. I don't know what deals they have now. I've been very happy with it. I use mine daily. I've always liked the light weight and slim design of the Bea. And if you keep it oiled it'll last 10-15 years before any leaks start.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

lruthb

My first BEA was spendy but reliable. I sent it in to repair and it was going to be better to replace it. I gave Menards a look and found both air and electric Cambell guns. I haven't had any trouble. I had to jerry rig the electric one around the saftey switch on the handle, it was too time consuming to keep flipping off the saftey. I think they both were around 50 bucks combined. I also like the smaller size of them.

BigJohn

December 10, 2010, 08:46:52 am #7 Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:49:17 am by BigJohn
Several members have bought from this Ebay merchant and found good prices on repaired/reconditioned BEA & Bostich staplers, the 1/2" is used more for vinyl and the 3/8" for cloth:

http://stores.ebay.com/1TO4-TOOLS-and-MORE/Staplers-/_i.html?_fsub=113847&_sasi=1&_sc=1&_sid=31494532&_sop=1&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

P.S. - I don't think you want any models that say "autofire"

BigJohn

Chris:

What model # staples did you order for you Harbor Freight gun?

Big John

Mojo

John, I will have to check. Once I get them ( in the next couple days ) I will give them a try and be sure they work. I can then post the info on obtaining them.

Chris

BigJohn

Thanks Chris I'll be waiting patiently!
                 Big John

Mojo

John:

I got the staples and they work fine in my Harbor Freight gun.

Here is a link to the staples. You can see all the guns these staples work in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290380125590&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Chris

M2

Just bought the Harbor Freight stapler. Seem to work OK so far. Thanks for the info!