Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 03:55:16 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Name Your Top Three

Started by Mojo, December 07, 2010, 02:32:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

Quote from: sofadoc on December 11, 2010, 11:35:54 am
As a kid, while my friends were rockin' to the Beatles and the Stones, I was into Nat King Cole and Perry Como.
Then, when my kids were jammin' to Hoobastank, and Linkin Park, I was rockin' to the Beatles and the Stones.
I just can't seem to catch up with the times.
im lke you sofa
when i was atenn    i didnt listen to  pink floyd or lrd zeplin instead i liked Chicago  Tower of power and yes Disco now il like led  zeplin stuff and pink floyd..
if its a black female singer though id prefer Aretha Frankin.

Mike8560

Quote from: bobbin on December 11, 2010, 03:31:49 pm
So did Linda Ronstadt.  I love it when recording artists are willing "take on the oldies".  
i beleve the album your talking of i owned the 8 track  with skylark on it

bobbin

I will have to check out that Linda Ronstadt album, Mike.  I bet the husband has some of those tunes on his 'puter. 

And Mojo, I love vintage R&B.  I have a Dominoes greatest hits CD that is great.  "Sixty Minute Man" is my favorite.  And on the Louis Armstrong Christmas LP there is a very good cut by Louis Jordan, "May Every Day Be Christmas"; he has a great voice.  I have been jonesin' for the Time Life Soul collection 3 yrs. now... but Santa ain't heard the news. 

I love disco.  Kool and the Gang "oh yes it's ladies' night and the feelin's right, oh what a night.".  :)

sofadoc

BOY! It's gonna' take a wrecker to pull this thread out of the ditch!
Give me anything written by Burt Bacharach. Only a musical genius could rhyme "pneumonia" and "phone ya".
But, if God came down tomorrow, and issued an edict that I could only have ONE CD to listen to for the rest of my life, I'll take The Eagles Greatest Hits.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

December 11, 2010, 06:24:08 pm #34 Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 06:27:07 pm by gene
Several years ago I started to listen to "New Age" music in my shop. I've collected over 2000 instrumental songs on my mp3 player. 'Ambient' is another word that is used to describe it. Other than my "Learning Chinese tapes", that's all I listen to.

My son was in my shop last month and asked if he could put his own music on. He plugged my speakers into his cell phone and was streaming music off the internet.

The first song he played I said, "That's Carlos Santana." He walked over to his cell phone, looked at it, looked at me, and he went back to work.

The second song I said, "Carlos Santana again." He did the same thing.

The next song, "That's Tommy Emmauel." He did the same thing.

The next song, "That's Walter Trout." He did the same thing.

The next song, "That sounds exactly like Chet Atkins but it's not. Eric Claptan learned the guitar by listening to Atkins. That's Claptain." My son looked at his cell phone, then shot me a disgusted look and said, "You know these guys and you still listen to that other music?" LOL

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

QuoteI will see your jazz and raise you the blues. Smiley

Jacksonville Beach puts on the largest free outdoors concert in Fl. It's called Springing the Blues. Not only do they have great blues bands but also jazz, reggae, and last year a calypso band that blew everybody away. It starts Friday evening and runs through Sunday. It's a blast.
QuoteI'll take The Eagles Greatest Hits.

I'm sure you heard their newest album. Out of Babylon. Theirs a lot of good songs on it, and it sounds like a lot of their old stuff. Of course I guess all their stuff is getting old. (I mean classic)  
QuoteThe next song, "That sounds exactly like Chet Atkins but it's not. Eric Claptan learned the guitar by listening to Atkins.

Just finished a book on tape called Claptons Biography. It's a good listen while working. Also have you ever heard the CD Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler did together. I think you'd enjoy it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike8560

December 12, 2010, 02:04:48 am #36 Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 02:07:29 am by Mike8560
Quote from: bobbin on December 11, 2010, 12:22:58 pm

In the past 10 yrs./so I've been turned on to Texas Swing...  Asleep At The Wheel,

i love asleep at the wheel the first heard them doing a radio new years ece show on mg truck radio while inwas redoing the interior after it was stole xmass shoping and burned.  I was probly 18 at the time they used to play at a truckstop in my area (mass)  

Mojo

The Linda Ronstadt album your talking about Mike was one she produced with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra.
She did remakes from the 40's and 50's. I still believe Linda has one of the most powerful female voices of any white woman I have heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsPoUMhogus&feature=related

Chris

Mojo

I thought I would give all you guys a good laugh.

I think this was 1974 when I did this concert. I was playing a blues harp probably to a J Giels tune. Look at the red afro ? I wished I had all that hair back now. :)

Chris

JuneC

Quote from: sofadoc on December 11, 2010, 06:00:49 pm
But, if God came down tomorrow, and issued an edict that I could only have ONE CD to listen to for the rest of my life, I'll take The Eagles Greatest Hits.

Absolutely! Sofa.  BTW, ever see the "Hell Freezes Over" tour DVD?  If not, you owe it to yourself to buy it.  It's one of only 3 or 4 DVD's I own (I only buy music DVD's). 

Chris, that's hysterical  ;D  I think more great music was produced in the 70's than in any other short period since.  Of course, I was in my teens then (graduated in '74) so that was "my" music. 

Still, only genres I don't like and won't listen to - disco and rap.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Quote from: JuneC on December 12, 2010, 07:05:52 am
Still, only genres I don't like and won't listen to - disco and rap.

The term "Rap Music" is an oxymoron.
I'd rather be chained down and forced to listen to Minnie Riperton's "Lovin' You" on a continuous loop for all eternity, than just ONE hour of rap.

Mojo

I have the Eagles " Farewell Tour " DVD.

The video is awesome and the music, well, its classic Eagles. One of the very best concert DVD's I have ever seen.

I have bought so many of those things as gifts for family and friends it isn't funny. Check E-Bay for a good used copy of the Farewell Tour dvd.

http://catalog.ebay.com/Eagles-Farewell-Tour-Live-Melbourne-DVD-2005-2-Disc-Set-/46556028?_pcatid=1&_pdpal=1&_refkw=eagles+farewell+tour&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A4583&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Now here is a kicker. I wanted to see the Eagles this year in concert but their ticket prices are out of this world and hard to get good seats. I was telling my son this a couple months ago and he says " Geez Dad, I didn't know you liked the Eagles. If you wanted to see them live you should have said so. They are one of my clients and I get free VIP tickets ". Now that pissed me off big time.

So he then says " look up their schedule and find one of their concerts and I will fly you there and arrange the tickets for you. " I looked their tour schedule up on the internet and by God their last USA concert was already done and they were leaving for Australia for a tour there.

I am thinking God is against me seeing the Eagles. :)

Chris

kodydog

QuoteI'll take The Eagles Greatest Hits.
I'm sure you heard their newest album. Out of Babylon. Theirs a lot of good songs on it, and it sounds like a lot of their old stuff. Of course I guess all their stuff is getting old. (I mean classic) 

The name of that album is , Long Road Out Of Eden. I think that other title is another album I have, or maybe it's Bat Out of Hell. Duh! Too many years working with spray glue :-\
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: JuneC on December 12, 2010, 07:05:52 am
I think more great music was produced in the 70's than in any other short period since.   

The 70's did have more than it's share.
But the 80's?
I went country during the 80's (Luvs me some Ronnie Milsap).
Somebody remind me, what was the original topic of this thread again? ???

Hey Chris, you can watch the Eagles tonight. They're playing the Cowboys (nyuk, nyuk) ::)

Mike8560

Wasn't it meatloaf who had " bat out  of he'll " ?