Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 03:56:46 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Has anyone ever repaired a flag?

Started by jojo, December 02, 2010, 08:46:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

What kind of thread should be used? Will my Singer 111w155 eat the nylon fabric, or should I used a home sewing machine for this? The edge of the flag is really tattered and deteriorated...should I use a narrow hem? Thanks in advance,
Jo

Mike8560

ihave but it didnt work well  the 111w is probly to heavy

sofadoc

December 02, 2010, 03:21:59 pm #2 Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 03:25:27 pm by sofadoc
I repair them all the time for my local Chick-Fil-A restaurant. I use 92 polyester thread. I set a VERY tight stitch length. I fold the end back 2-3 times. My hem is pretty narrow.
The restaurant is so pleased with the results, that they bring me new ones to hem before they ever run 'em up the pole (preventive maintainance).
I use a Juki LU 1508, very similar in size to a 111W.
Be sure to lock your stitches really well, and you might have to fold the corner diagonally, and hem/lock. Don't be afraid if it's a little ugly. You can't see it from the ground.
A local bank has brought me the same flag in for repair so many times, that the field of blue stars now spans half of the flag.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

i have to say doc mine were very thin and the dyed or    printed flags not the each color sewn kind .i got puckering and it wasnt pretty hoding   it ,, as you said at the top of the flagpole it was fine .

206RB

Quote from: sofadoc on December 02, 2010, 03:21:59 pm

I use a Juki LU 1508, very similar in size to a 111W

Hey, I have the same machine! Another U bobbin person! But I use M bobbins, bet you do too?

stitcher_guy

I've repaired the flags and blowup displays for one of our local car dealers for years. They've gone through about four flags. Where the building sits is like a wind tunnel and they get tattered quickly. I will fold a single layer hem about two inches thick (just a small amount folded under the edge so it doesn't unravel) then run four or five lines of stitching along the hem. If you consider, folding several times with a narrow hem makes it heavy. Imagine putting a lead shot weight on the end of a fishing line. You can make it whip back and forth pretty good with the heavy weight concentrated out at the end. If you spread the hemline out a bit, it spreads the load and hopefully less damage in the wind.

Usually they wait until there is major damage to pull the flag down. THis means I will run into tears running up between the colors. I try my best to resew these so I don't have to radically shorten the stripes field. The one that is waiting to be picked up right how has one rounded corner due to the area of damage I had to work around.

sofadoc

Quote from: 206RB on December 02, 2010, 05:24:21 pm
Quote from: sofadoc on December 02, 2010, 03:21:59 pm

I use a Juki LU 1508, very similar in size to a 111W

Hey, I have the same machine! Another U bobbin person! But I use M bobbins, bet you do too?

I don't think I've ever even seen a U bobbin. I bought a 100 metal M's off E-Bay.
And I'm still trying to use up all of my G pre-wounds.
Stitcher: I'll have to try your method next time. The reason that I do a thick narrow hem is so it will hold the 92 thread better. But you're right about the extra weight flapping harder.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

206RB

I would use U bobbins, but can't find a source.

Mike8560

my luki takes u also but they are hard to come byi use alllot of m in it ewhen i have them theres alway g i buy g for my singer