Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 08:19:31 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

PTFE Fiberglass Thread

Started by Mojo, December 01, 2010, 06:52:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I just ran across this thread and out of curiosity I ordered two spools of it.

This thread is rated to 1,000 degrees and is mainly used in making fire department gear as well as
for industrial insulation products and welding gear.

I make a lot of covers with blind seams so I thought I would give it a try.

By the way there is a make offer button on this auction. I submitted a bid for $ 15 per spool for two
and he accepted.

Tensile strength is 25 lbs. I believe Tenara is 15 - 18 lbs. The size is E18 which I believe equates to about
210 ( not sure on this ).

Here is the auction - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PTFE-Coated-Fiberglass-Thread-Size-E-18-2lb-Spool-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b923af0cQQitemZ110480305932QQptZMotorsQ5fAviationQ5fPartsQ5fGear

Just thought I would pass it on in case someone was looking for some spare thread to have around.

Chris

MinUph

Chris,
  Let us know how it works out. I just picked up brown thread but would be interested in the out come. I miss Nymo maybe this could be a replacement.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

December 02, 2010, 04:43:35 am #2 Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:39:42 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
This thread here is fiberglass, used for sewing insulation for high temp applications.  It's bear to setup on a machine to sew consistently, does not stretch, kinks up like wire cable, all adding to sewing difficulty.  It will also tear up your machine in a short time, but the PTFE coating should help a little with the sewability.  "E" is a government spec. for the size, equal to V69.

IMO this thread has no reasonable application for auto trim, or any type of canvas or leather work.

Mojo

What kind of machines do they use to sew this stuff with then ?

And when you say tear up the machine what parts of the machine are you talking about ? You have me curious now.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

That thread there you mention can be sewn a a regular walking foot machine for common canvas and upholstery.  You don't need a special machine to sew it.  But to sew it consistently, you often have to change tensions, maybe needles, and even adjust the hook to the needle, similar to what needs to be done with Tenara thread in some cases.  Some cases not.  No two machine sare the same.  Either way, the fibers from the fiberglass will get into your machine and tear things up quick.  Not to mention you should have proper ventalation and respitory/eye protection, as fiberglass fibers will be flying through the air.  Some people are very sensitive to this. 

Again, my opinion...throw that thread in the round filing cabinate and move on; buy brown poly if that's what you need.  People who use this thread use it becasue they have to.  I wouldn't even thread my machine with that stuff unless I had a customer as for it, and normally they are showing up with engineering diagrams and specs for a heating and intalation job. 

Mojo

OK. I appreciate your input.

I thought of the fiberglass fallout but then thought with it being coated the fiberglass would be basically sealed.

I may use it on my old machine for special projects. That machine is already tore up.....lol
If not I can always re-sell it on E-Bay. :)

Chris

Mojo

I made some calls yesterday and today to find out more on this thread. It is basically like sewing with Tenara.

There really is no fallout from fiberglass because it is wrapped and bonded with PTFE. I called Bob Kovar about using it in my machine and he said go ahead that you will only experience problems with initial tension settings just like Tenara.

Interestingly I talked with Bob's son Bobby yesterday who is the service man for their company and he told me about one of their customers who have two machines setup and dedicated to using this thread. He said the thread has had no effect on the machines or caused any extra wear. The product they are sewing ?........ CANVAS. :)

Bob said that in the past this fiberglass thread was not bonded and would put alot of fiberglass dust into the air. It would also get into the machines causing issues as well. Since bonding with PTFE the problems have been pretty much eliminated. I had to laugh when he told me about a service call he had years ago on a huge 36 spool machine. He said there was fiberglass everywhere and he walked out itching like a dog with fleas. :)

I am still going to contact the manufacturer next week and talk with them about it. to see if I can pick up any pointers.  If it sews like Tenara then I am going to be a happy camper. My Chandler loves Tenara. I have had no tension or needle issues whatsoever and it sews Tenara extremely well..

Will keep you posted.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

December 03, 2010, 08:13:15 pm #7 Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:25:59 pm by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
I have a strange feeling about this thread (no pun intended).  I just don't see the purpose or intent of either this thread, or the thread.

Get my humor?   :P

Mojo

I think I get it but then I am a little slow at times. . :)

After my last purchase of Tenara ( OMG is that stuff expensive ) and my subsequent sewing with it I consider myself extremely lucky I had no issues with my machine ( mainly tension settings ).

I am sure Greg you have seen two identical machines side by side where one handles these weird threads like a dream and the other gives you fits. Thankfully mine handles any thread I throw at it. I loaded the Tenara into my machine, made one little adjustment and it sewed perfectly. But I admit after reading horror stories about Tenara I was scared. :)

I bought this fiberglass thread specifically because of its strength and its ability to handle the Florida sun. They can design threads that will serve its purpose for many regions of the country but when it comes to Florida, all bets are off. The sun is extremely brutal and then when you add in the salt air, you end up with a thread that simply will not last. Hopefully this thread will prove to hold up as well as Tenara.

Just as a footnote, I will continue to use Solarfix ( tenara ) with all of my solar screens and awnings. But for custom covers where there is no visible stitching and where strength is a must, I think this thread will work out great. Besides, there is a huge difference between $ 155 for Tenara and $ 15 dollars for this thread. :)

And this thread is made in Canada which will make my buddy Darren happy. :)

Just saying.

Chris