Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:22:49 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Starting Seat with Wire Edge - lots of ?'s

Started by squilts, November 21, 2010, 07:03:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

squilts

November 21, 2010, 07:03:16 am Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 07:07:01 am by squilts
I am new to upholstery, with only a couple simple projects under my belt.  I have a Pullman "revolving seat bed" that I would like to redo as the original fabric was in shreds.  Unfortunately, when I got down to the springs, the twine tying them had all broken, so I am not sure how it was done.  The seat has what I understand is called edge wire holding the outside springs in place.

The bottom of the springs are supported with a grid of wires rather than webbing, and the top of the springs are all tied together with lighter wire.

I think the springs were only tied down from front to back.  I assume that you don't pull down the edge wire.  If the springs are already tied together with wire, do I still need to tie them with twine to secure to the frame?  Am I compressing them at all, or just securing them at the height they are at?

Once I have fabric over the springs and start adding padding, do I need to form a pad over that edge wire so that it can't be felt?
I plan on padding the seat and back with foam.  Is the "high density" stuff you can purchase at JoAnn fabrics too junky, or would it be okay?

Darren Henry

there is a very good article on spring tie-ing under "how to upholster" at the top of this page.

8)Had to give myself a refresher last week with it.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

Looks like you have a drop in unit. If all the wires are still in good shape you don't need to tie anything except the front and back like you said. When I cover the springs, usually with burlap, I like to tie some edge roll to the wire edge to soften it and make a nice rounded edge when you add the padding (If that's the look your going for). As far as foam I'd go to a high quality upholstery shop. You may spend a little more but the product will be better and they can steer you in the right direction as far as firmness. I like a little more firm on the seat and a little less on the back. Hope this helps and good luck.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

squilts

I checked out the spring tying how-to.  The edge wire is what is confusing me, and I haven't been able to find an example similar.  I guess maybe I just ignore the edge, and tie the springs like normal?

kodydog

Not to be nosy but let me get this straight. You have a Pullman bed. Like the beds on a Pullman car on a train? I've reupholstered a lot of interesting pieces but never a pullman bed. Its hard to tell exactly what you have by your pictures. I'm sure we can help you restore it with a little more info. If the springs are still in good shape reuse them. If the edge wire needs to be reattached to the springs this can be done with ether a crimping tool or lash them on with nylon twine. You don't need to compress this type of unit. When you cover them they will compress a little naturally.
Let me know if I can help more.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html