Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 08, 2024, 07:41:33 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Should I care???

Started by JuneC, November 19, 2010, 08:25:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Can-Vas

November 22, 2010, 04:44:36 pm #15 Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:47:14 pm by Can_Vas
The question - Should we care?
Wow, doesn't seem to matter if we are in the north the south or Europe...  this is a very good question.
All i can say is that there are a few boat owners who seem to recognise quality.  The majority only price.
I did a dodger, bimini and joining top piece for a client last spring.  Also gave a quote for the remaining full enclosure (side & back curtains).  He's seen my other jobs and knows that my normal level of finish (and corresponding quoted price) is for full finish -windows 'framed' with fabric both sides, colour matched binding, caps, etc. in strataglass and pfte thread.    8)
He calls a month ago to say he took a cheaper quote.   :-X
I walked by the boat 2 days ago and see its got open-edge windows, fabric is on the inside (so that you're looking through the glass from the outside and see all the stitches;  the binding and socket caps all different colours and poly thread.  In other words doesn't match the quality product I built that it's connected to -   :'(
But hey,  he's happy as a clam - he saved two hundred bucks!!  
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

baileyuph

That is a good idea, display the results and charge accordingly, everyone wins!

Question:  what is the time difference between these two methods?  The factory method and the more esthetically appealing product?

Is the difference around a third more in time and materials?

Offering the two levels of a product, one practical and another with higher appeal is a win-win situation, as long as the customer gets some service out of the product.

Upholsterers have a time based skill and they have to get paid for it.

The longer I am in business, the more time sensitive I become.

Time is money.

Doyle

aL8958uk

When I come back home, I care my baby. When I hold my baby in my arms for the first time, an awareness floods over me which never be the same again in your lifetime. A new member arrived to our family and promoted us from husband and wife to father and mother. Normally parents learn a lot from their babies especially patience, love etc.

Funeral Urns

Mike8560

Convradulstil s al o. The newborn!
Db there Is allot more time to do cou le facing more then a $200 savings in time.

baileyuph

Thanks for that analysis Mike and to June for posting and her input.  It surely adds to my understanding of marine canvas work.  You guys are the best and June your judgement is superior as to "how to and care about what you do".  As an outsider, my firm thought is you should be paid for it because which ever product you provide will be second to none.

I get into furniture and auto and other work that requires similar judgement and sometimes I have to decide that the way the customer wants it is the best, it is their money.  But, if I don't think it will give service, I will tell them.  This recession and the different standards, priorities, of my clients are there to be dealt with and I am willing to do that. 

Mike, I did feel that double facing and doing the perfection work would be that significant, I do appreciate the understanding provided.

When young, my grandmother use to size it all up this way:  "It is mind over matter and if you don't mind it won't matter". ;)

Good to hear you guys have great weather, you deserve it after the summer.  Ours really isn't bad, it is what follows that gets my attention. :)

Thanks to everyone, interesting subject,
Doyle

Rich

There's a movie that came out in 1996 called "Big Night" that I was reminded of when I read this post. Two brothers open an Italian restaurant and the one in the kitchen gets upset when the other comes back to ask him to make something a certain way for a customer. The chef brother is so incensed by the request that he sees as beneath his culinary dignity that he goes out into the dining room to yell at the "uneducated" diners. Of course this is a comical and extreme illustration, and I'm all for giving the customer his money's worth by doing the best job possible, but I think it depends, to a large extent on how many are willing to pay for it. If it's not many, then I'd say the job has to be done the way they want it. If most are willing to pay, then don't even bother with the second rate method.
My .02,
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!