Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 05, 2024, 06:56:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What kind of steamer do you use for foam ?

Started by Therapy, November 18, 2010, 06:50:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TimsTrim

All Jiffy parts are fairly inexpensive and the steamers are well worth repairing. You can contact Jiffy online and they'll even send you a parts list and schematics. I have two of them and both have been repaired a few times. The older of the two(40yrs old) leaks like a sieve out of the tank but still works like a charm and the newer one (20yrs old) is down right now waiting for a new element.

MinUph

I wrote to Jiffy and received this reply. I'm posting it as a FYI. I'm cleaning mine as I type and will post the outcome.

--snip--
Thank you for contacting us.  Your steamer may be clogged with mineral deposits from you water.  This will make the steamer cut on and off.  Try cleaning the steamer thoroughly and see if it still does shut off.  Then if you know it is clean, you may need to replace the thermostat.  The cleaning instructions are below.  Thank you.

White Vinegar/Water Solution Cleaning Instructions

The cleaning procedure below is recommended as a regular maintenance measure to help your steamer maintain its maximum steaming performance.  This maintenance should be performed on a basis of every 3-6 months depending on your water supply.  In most cases, a steamer that is severely clogged will require disassembly to properly clean and prolong the life span of the unit.  An authorized repair center or a Jiffy Steamer service technician best performs this disassembly.

1. Unplug your steamer from the wall outlet.  Remove hose attachment at the brass coupling using a wrench and remove water bottle from unit.  Pour out any remaining water from your unit.

2. If the hose attachment is blocked by sediment build-up. Use a water hose to clean inside the hose.  This should loosen and remove any build-up that may have occurred within the hose itself.

3. If the Jiffy Liquid Cleaner is not available for shipment in your area, a solution of ½ white vinegar (5 ounces) and ½ water (5 ounces) may be used as a substitute solution.

4. Pour the cleaning solution into the water cup of your steamer.  This is the location on the steamer base where you normally place the water bottle.  Allow the cleaning solution to remain in the unit for ONLY 2 HOURS...NO LONGER.  DO NOT STEAM THE SOLUTION IN THE UNIT AS DAMAGE MAY OCCUR.

5. Pour the cleaning solution out of the steamer.  Do this by tilting the steamer back and forth and pouring the solution out of the water cup area.

6. Rinse the unit thoroughly by flushing with fresh water 2-3 times.

7. If discolored water or residue continues to come from the unit, the above procedure may need to be repeated.

8. Please call 1-800-525-4339 for further instructions or questions.

--end snip--
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

It seems like using distilled water would reduce the need for cleaning. I've only had my Jiffy about a year, and so far, I've only used distilled water. A gallon is .79 at the grocery store. Since I have to pick up some for my C-Pap (snoring) machine anyway, I always get an extra couple gallons for my steamer.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

UPDATE:

I cleaned the steamer and hey it works  ;D

I've had the unit for probably 20+ years and have never cleaned it. In NY State the water is very good. Now that I'm in Florida I have a water softener and a reverse osmosis filter for the house.

I am running the cleaning solution through again for good measure.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

TimsTrim

If you have a dehumidifier running somewhere, save the water from it for your steamer.

Mojo

Any device ( steamer, clothes iron, etc. ) you should use distilled water. By using tap water or plain bottled water, the minerals ( especially calcium ) will separate when heated and attach itself to the metal.

I use distilled water in anything that has a heating mechanism ( except the coffee pot ). :)
I drink way to much coffee and would need a tanker truck of distilled water for coffee making. :)

Chris

Darren Henry

The shop I'm in now has a J2 steamer and I really like it; but for years I just used a stem iron before I built my steamer. It's just an old electric kettle with a piece of water hose attached to it with a flattened out stub of boat tubing for a nozzle. I couldn't justify $200 for just a couple of projects. Buying new foam would be cheaper.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on November 27, 2010, 08:52:01 am
I built my steamer. It's just an old electric kettle with a piece of water hose attached to it with a flattened out stub of boat tubing for a nozzle.

Are you sure that your REAL name isn't "Mcguyver"?
If I had it to do over again, I don't think I would drop $200 on a steamer. It doesn't help that much on fabrics (at least no more than a cheap hand-held steamer), and I suspect that it's rejuvenation effect on foam is short-lived.
I know that some upholsterers place the steamer in their "Top 5" list of most essential tools. But, I went over 25 years with just a little hand-held steamer.
Now that I have a J2, I seldom use it. For the most part, it gathers dust in the corner of my shop right next to the EZ cushion stuffer.

MinUph

There are many uses for a steamer, Yes steaming foam is short lived but that short time makes a big difference in filling a cushion. Finishing touches on upholstery is a nice touch. Makes shorts hang nice. Shrinks some fabrics to make the lay more smoothly. Makes steaming out patterns easy. Just some examples. Many uses. If you guys don't want yours I'll take them off your hands  ;D
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

TimsTrim

There is  not a day goes by that I do not use one of my steamers. Some think they  are some sort of crutch but if you want that last bit of "finesse" they are invaluable. I probably use mine as much on vinyl seats as cloth seats. They are a very safe alternative to heat guns. I did let a good one get thru my fingers though. Had a guy come to me with a boiler type steamer, one of the big EXPENSIVE ones. He said it was no good anymore because it shocked him all the time. $75 later and a quick look inside  showed a broken ground wire. I rewired it ans sold it to a shop for a $400 profit. But that's OK, the Jiffys  serve me well. Oh and for you newer guys, don't use steam on leather. Trust me. Been there, ruined that.

sofadoc

November 27, 2010, 03:10:17 pm #26 Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:26:02 pm by sofadoc
I ruined a chenille job because I got too close with the steam head.
Quote from: MinUph on November 27, 2010, 12:53:34 pm
Shrinks some fabrics to make the lay more smoothly.

Which fabrics? I've experimented with all types of fabrics. I cut 36" strips, and steamed them. They were STILL 36".
My Masco fabrics catalog says that the Jiffy steamer "Stretches fabrics, shrinks fabrics, tightens seams"  
Stretching, and shrinking are two polar opposites. How does it do both? I called Masco, and asked them. They said that they'd call the Jiffy co. and get back to me. They didn't.
If I sound argumentative, I don't mean to. I am asking so I can get better use out of mine.
I do like it as a safe alternative to a heat gun when it comes to vinyl. And of course, it's great for removing wrinkles.

Darren Henry

QuoteFor the most part, it gathers dust in the corner of my shop right next to the EZ cushion stuffer.

I built one of those too with the same end result; dust collector.

QuoteAnd of course, it's great for removing wrinkles

I'll have to try that Friday night. I just hope it doesn't wilt my handlebar mustache. :D
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!