Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:46:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Staying as busy as you want to be.

Started by Highvelocity, November 15, 2010, 08:43:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Highvelocity

It seems like I have had a good run of referals for jobs that I wasn't expecting.  I did a Bimini recreation over the summer and got 3 more jobs out it. 

My name is definalty floating out there, but do you guys advertise in the paper if you want to get busier?  I would like to do things like cushions that I can do in my garage over the winter.  Any ideas how to get that work type work?
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Mike8560

I run an add where my customers will see it  I do this fro
time to time.  My website work verry  also beter then a ow pages with I do t into.
Get boat cusio work in the winter was just about Imposible I the winter when I was I new england.
I tui k svybodu was done spend on boats ans has fuengisaud on thee mind

JuneC

Maybe offer a discount for people to be proactive and get their cushions done BEFORE Spring makes life crazy again.  Print up a half-sheet info brochure about your services/discount/incentive and ask if you can place them on the bulletin board of bait & tackle shops or marine supply stores (down here we have West Marine), or Gander Mtn or Bass Pro Shop or wherever.  In the past when I got slow, I used to hand out business cards to dockmasters at marinas around town.  A friendly face and non-pushy selling goes a long way with boaters and the people who cater to them.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

regalman190

I get a lot from my website. I pass my card around at marinas. I tack them up at restaurants, West Marine, etc. And, I offer winter discounts for work I can do over the winter. Word of mouth is great too.
Regal Canvas

scarab29

I've seen a guy offer his services on craigs list. Wonder if he gets any business out of it? I made a flyer for my marina customers to send their slip and winter storage customers offering a "winter special" for work to be done before next seasons splash. You know the dockmaster wants his markup so I didn't want to ask for their mailing list , rather offered to pay the postage and asked if they would stuff them in the envelope with the winter storage bill !!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike8560

November 16, 2010, 10:09:26 am #5 Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:11:28 am by Mike8560
Up north I used to k pw a couple guys who owned marinas.
Theysaid they would lime to get half there storage money up front before they. Wold take them then the customers felt they had untill splash day to pay the ballance even though they would bill then the first of the year  in my experence you would be realycky to get anyone to think about spending money on there boat before they want to use it.
I would and do have my  name and number on my trucks so my number is always plout theere even if im at the market.  

Highvelocity

I would like to see how far a small flyer in a marina takes me.  I would like to do the things that are free and easy first. 

Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Mike8560

November 17, 2010, 05:28:00 pm #7 Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:31:17 pm by Mike8560
Ed it can't hurt. Cards everywhere toubgo get some xard holders to set the out on counters and often west marine has area where tounxan put some out

Many timeS I get calls from sobody who sees my mane on the van or truck at a marine or  store.

I k ow you said free. Jt each tear I generally set yp at our county boat show. If you have to but a table get a skirt for it set yp. Small display of a Bimini and enclosure and or a cushion.  Some cards and pamphlets.
I get aot of jobs this way.