Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 01, 2024, 12:02:04 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Feeling underappreciated? Read this

Started by Rich, November 04, 2010, 06:53:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

World reknown violinist Joshua Bell's performance at a Washington D.C. Metro station a few years ago.
From Wikipedia:
In a curious experiment initiated by Washington Post columnist Gene Weingarten, Bell donned a baseball cap and played as an incognito street busker at the Metro subway station L'Enfant Plaza in Washington, D.C. on January 12, 2007. The experiment was videotaped on hidden camera; among 1,097 people who passed by, only seven stopped to listen to him, and only one recognized him. For his nearly 45-minute performance, Bell collected $32.17 from 27 passersby (excluding $20 from the passerby who recognized him).[6] Weingarten won the 2008 Pulitzer Prize for feature writing for his article on the experiment.[10][11]

Here's a link to an article by the columnist who started the whole thing:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

This got me thinking, this experiment may have more to do with our fast-paced society not having the time to stop and smell the roses, but it also shows the importance of presentation. I think it's pretty much a fact that how you present a product or service has as much or more to do with what you can ask for it as the quality of the product itself. This has implications for we who sometimes struggle to get what we think we deserve for the skill we possess and the time we put into our work. Well presented, a customer may very well pay a good bit more for a product or service than if it is perceived as "just another....whatever". What do you think?
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

gene

I did not shave today and I had 3 customers come into my shop. I was VERY conscious of the fact that I was looking more grubby than I wanted to.

I mentioned to an Interior Designer that I can look like a craftsman, an upholsterer, she has to look like success. She agreed with me and appreciated my comment.

Presentation does have a big impact.

It's interesting Rich: you quoted from Wikipedia and gave a link to the Washington Post. In my mind, both of those raised a big red flag about your post. If you had not given the link, I would not have believed the story at all. With the link, there's a bit more credibility to the story being true in my mind, but not much.

I guess we just can't put our best foot forward for everyone.

Good post and a good point.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

I know who Joshua Bell is because I love classical music but if you don't it comes as no surprise to me that the minions would simply walk past.  I heard that story years ago on NPR, too, in an interview with Mr. Bell.  It's a good one. 

Presentation is important, no two ways about it.  And the more you rely on the "service" aspect of a business the more important it becomes, IMO.  Tailoring is all about service.  The fitting area must be clean, with adequate privacy for the customer, and I must be clean and neatly attired if I am to be credible when commanding top dollar for my skill. 

A workshop/workroom is always going to be a working area and certain level of disarray is to be expected but a dirty, cluttered, disorganized work space sends a distinct message to a first time customer.  One that can be a real "red flag" when issues of neatness and cleanliness are important... think high end clothing or fabric for interior design work.  I have seen this very thing in action where I work.  Some customers just don't come back and I questioned one I met socially some time later.  "The place is filthy".  It got my attention. 

Mojo

That does it. I am going to dress and look like crap everyday so people will leave me alone. :)

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

First off, I'm not making 32 dollars every 45 mins.   :'(

That said, what else can I think of other than not to discount the superficial.  I do it personally all the time. 

Reminds me of the story where when walking onto an commecail airplane, people felt safer infthe interior was cleaner rather than dirty or soiled.  Most felt the plane was being well maintined if it thier seats and trays were clean.  Of couse, one thing has little to do with the other, but it's how people feel about things.  The perception of it.

I could benefit from this myself as well.  Time to shave!