Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:45:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Get your cutters sharpened... finally!

Started by Dede, November 04, 2010, 08:57:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dede

November 04, 2010, 08:57:13 am Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 04:42:39 pm by Dede
Bobby Mac the Knife Sharpening Service is now sharpening button and grommet cutters by mail.  Bob can sharpen any brand cutter, and he has a fast turnaround time.

We are not affiliated in any way, but Bob sharpened my cutters and they cut like buttah.  :D  No one else offers this service, and I am pleased to recommend him.

He's running a promotional special right now -- contact him directly for details:

bob@bobbymactheknife.com
781-242-9118
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

hdflame

I've been thinking about buying a professional type sharpener for my scissors.  The one I've looked at is about $300-$400 if I remember right.  I haven't bought any cutters like you're talking about yet.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

sofadoc

A new button cutter is only $15. After shipping both ways, how much cheaper can he be?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Dede

Quote from: sofadoc on November 04, 2010, 03:00:48 pm
A new button cutter is only $15.

No offense, sofadoc, but not according to any price list I have here.  Where are you getting these 15.00 cutters?
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

sofadoc

I have a local supplier that sells them for $15 (they don't have a website)
Here's one website that sells them for $15-$20, depending on size:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Upholstery_Buttons/Tools_and_Dies/Short_Button_Cutter/index.html
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

LOL.

Remember to keep saying "I love you" until she puts down the knife.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Dede

Quote from: sofadoc on November 04, 2010, 06:14:41 pm
I have a local supplier that sells them for $15 (they don't have a website)
Here's one website that sells them for $15-$20, depending on size:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Upholstery_Buttons/Tools_and_Dies/Short_Button_Cutter/index.html

Ah, now I understand... #22 is at that price.  They don't tend to lose their edge like the bigger cutters do.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

TimsTrim

I  haved used the nice $400 scissor sharpener ( the 2 wheel with fixtures model) and they will put a scary sharp edge on. But right now I'm using a Chef's Choice Scissor Pro and I have to say they do a very servicable job of sharpening. About $80. As for the button cutters, I do some hobby gun buidling and have a small lathe. It and some good stones will keep 'em going.

hdflame

Quote from: TimsTrim on November 27, 2010, 01:30:34 pm
I  haved used the nice $400 scissor sharpener ( the 2 wheel with fixtures model) and they will put a scary sharp edge on. But right now I'm using a Chef's Choice Scissor Pro and I have to say they do a very servicable job of sharpening. About $80. As for the button cutters, I do some hobby gun buidling and have a small lathe. It and some good stones will keep 'em going.

I am interested in your experience with both of these sharpeners.  I bought a pair KAI 7280 11" Sewing Scissors a couple of months ago.  They are the best pair of scissors that I've owned and they cut GREAT.

I want to keep them that way, so I'd like to start looking for a quality sharpener BEFORE I need it.  I have no problems sharpening a knife, but I have no experience with sharpening a quality pair of scissors.  I don't want to ruin my new purchase.

Out of these two tools, which would you recommend to keep my new shears in top shape?

Thanks.
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)