Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 01, 2024, 12:39:10 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Eerie feeling

Started by sofadoc, October 28, 2010, 03:54:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Dogs, and cats, can really capture our hearts.

I like the prayer, "God, help me to be the kind of person that my dog thinks I am."

I got home awhile ago and my wife came downstairs. She asked me what I was doing. I said that I was trying to sneak the dogs some treats before she caught me. He looked at the treats in my hand and then started to say something to me. I said, "Hey, you asked me what I was doing. If you don't want to know, then don't ask." LOL

Gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

For all of us "one-man" shops, the pooch is the most valuable employee we have.
A wagging tail can soften the heart of even the most crotchety customer (I've tried wagging mine, it's just not the same).
Not every customer remembers MY name, but EVERYONE knows "George" when they walk in to my shop.
From reading these threads, it almost seems as though we can deal with our own human mortality more than that of our 4-legged friends.
CKKC: Please try to find some comfort in the fact that your dog lived a full, happy life. The vast majority of dogs die from euthanasia, disease, or starvation. You can honor your pooch's memory by making sure that at least ONE MORE dog doesn't die that way.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

stitcher_guy

The worst part, but still an important part, of being a pet owner is knowing when to help our pet end their pain and suffering. A dog and a cat can't tell you how they feel. But you know just by being with them. You know how they respond to your petting and attention. CKKC, you showed your pooch how much you care and love her by being with her at the end and helping to make her feel better. I"m sure there was nothing but thanks and love coming from her.

I had to do that to two cats very close in time to each other. Rocki had cancer and tumors. He was my big chunk of love. But the day we went, I think he was relieved. He knew it was time, and so did I. He'd been happy and cared for, and we said our goodbyes.

I lost Tex to a heart attack while we were walking a few years ago. He was my buddy, and the official greeter to the shop. It was a shock. I laid in the yard crying my eyes out several nights thinking about what had happened. And now Tucker is here. He's a young pup, and he is all set to be my buddy and to show me the same love that Tex had. I am always grabbing him and wrestling with him and telling him he's no Tex. But he knows I"m lying.

Thoughts and prayers are with you CKKC.

lilsuz

CKKC,

So sorry you lost your sweet little dog. I lost a very nice cat a few years ago, a sick one we had taken in (just to help her get better, then she was supposed to find a real home --- sure!!).  She had some illnesses and all we could do was maintain her health as best as we could. She lived 7 years with us! The sweetest animal ever! They do wrap themselves around your heart.

Take care CKKC!

Darren Henry

I'm sorry to hear of your loss CKKC. Buddy has been with me for 15 years (or 16 ??) and I know how close we get to pets. Just remember; you HAD to do this. it was the kindest gift you could give.

QuoteMy dad has a very rare type of cancer and isn't doing well at all. He's on his 3rd special type of chemo treatment and nothing is making any change in his cancer.

I am so sorry to hear that. I sincerely hope he gets a break and a speedy recovery.

QuoteOne day, in the not so distant future, I too will have to make that journey to help get rid of all my dad's stuff.

What burns my arse like a 30" candle are the bottom feeders that capitalize on the situation. "you're upset,knee deep in dealing with these assets/bills/etc... and want to get home for work in a short period of time" "I'll give you 25 cents on the dollar to help you out ,or you're stuck . He He".

I was almost that slug once but got my eyes opened real quick. I was working on the lake and a guy from Winnipeg had a little speed boat tied up and for sale at the wharf we always used. I wanted the boat , but not at that price. one night we came in and because he had tied it up incorrectly the storm had sunk it and the wharf had eaten a hole in the hull. I said something to the effect that I should call the guy now and get it my price. the guy I was working for went postal. After he came up for air he said "how would you feel if that was your boat?" We phoned him and my buddy Gerry and I helped him get it out that night. They were a young couple and not too deep in the pocket so we worked for 4 man hours with our dive gear,Gerry's boat ,come-a-longs etc for the $40 to refill our tanks and a couple of rums to thaw out. To this day it shames me that I could have been that morally bankrupt. If he were still alive I'd thank Gus again for putting things in perspective for me.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on October 31, 2010, 07:23:59 am
What burns my arse like a 30" candle are the bottom feeders that capitalize on the situation. "you're upset,knee deep in dealing with these assets/bills/etc... and want to get home for work in a short period of time" "I'll give you 25 cents on the dollar to help you out ,or you're stuck . He He". 

Darren: I hope you don't think of me as a "bottom feeder".
In the thread about foam saws, I stated that I "swoop in like a vulture and offer pennies on the dollar". I was really kidding, but I have acquired a lot of supplies and tools over the years at well under face value.
When shops that are closing call me and offer to sell me their supplies, I tell them up front that I don't really need any of their stuff, and will only consider buying it if I can get it at a bargain.
Right now, I have about a 2 year over-supply on many supply items, just from buying up stuff that I don't need.
In the case of the dead owner's son, I paid him the price he asked for with no haggling. The son had no desperate situation, other than to dispense with his father's possessions as soon as possible, so he could sell the property. I bought a few things, and passed on a LOT of things.
In fact, I've never been one to haggle. I either pay them the price they ask, or I turn and walk away. I've walked away more often than not.

Mojo

Quote from: sofadoc on October 31, 2010, 11:42:57 am

Right now, I have about a 2 year over-supply on many supply items, just from buying up stuff that I don't need.

I am in need of some supplies actually. I would be interested in buying your excess, but then I want an amazing bargain. Pennies on the dollar of course. :)

Just Kidding ya. You left the door open on that one and I just had to step in before Darren did. :)

8)

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on October 31, 2010, 01:32:38 pm
Just Kidding ya. You left the door open on that one and I just had to step in before Darren did. :)

That occured to me when I was writing it! ;D
Sawduster: I watched my mother wither away from liver cancer. She continued to work in the family upholstery business right up to the final 3 weeks of her life.
Someday, it will be one of us, and the world will keep right on turning. I've heard that in heaven, the sewing machine oil tastes just like mayonnaise. :D

scottymc

It's real good that you guy's are so happy with your chosen occupation that your happy to kark it on the job. Personally I have had 4 heart attacks, the first 3 whilst surfing and the 4th. one was while sitting at my sewing machine. My only thought was when I realized what was going on was "oh no, not here doing this". But in the end I don't suppose it really matters, once your gone your not really going to be feeling anything. 

sofadoc

scottymc: Is "kark it on the job" an Aussie term for getting summoned to the "great workroom in the sky" while the motor is still running on the machine?

Take care of yourself.

scottymc

Quote from: sofadoc on October 31, 2010, 03:55:22 pm
scottymc: Is "kark it on the job" an Aussie term for getting summoned to the "great workroom in the sky" while the motor is still running on the machine?

Take care of yourself.

Yes it does mean to die, but it could be British slang. If there is anything going on after I stop breathing, I hope it's a bit more than a work room. That could get a bit boring if it's for eternity.

gene

October 31, 2010, 06:06:34 pm #26 Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 06:14:38 pm by gene
My intention here is not to defend sofadoc, but rather to just share my point of view.

I did not think that sofadoc was being a bottom feeder by buying a tool worth $500 for $50.

If I see a $10.00 bill on the ground, and no one is around, and if I pick it up, then I am taking advantage of a situation, not another person.

If I see a person drop a $10.00 bill on the ground, and I wait for that person to leave, and then I pick it up, then I am taking advantage of another person, and not a situation.

I think a bottom feeder is someone who takes advantage of another person.

Someone who takes advantage of a situation is creative, lucky, fortunate, at the right place at the right time, a good business person, etc. How many religious people "thank God!" when they come out ahead on a transaction, or when they get a really good deal?

Sometimes it can be a very fine line.

It is possible that if sofadoc did not buy that tool for $50, the son may have thrown it away as a reaction to his grief. We don't know. And I think this is an important point. If I don't know what's going on with you, then how can I take advantage of you? Also, and even more important, I am not responsible for you, your decisions, your life situations, etc.

If sofadoc knew that the son was going to sell the tool for $450 and he waited until the son was in the shop for the first time so he could pounce on the son and take advantage of his emotional state, then yes, sofadoc took advantage of the person, not the situation.

Good things happen. Sometimes good things happen to me. And sometimes good things happen to sofadoc.

Gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

After reading some of the replies, I realize that some of you may have assumed too much in thinking that the young man I dealt with was not only grief stricken, but financially desperate as well. Believe me, he was neither. He was simply trying to clear out his father's shop ASAP.
I knew that EZ makes a foam cutter in the $150 price range. I also knew that the Bosch brand was more expensive, but I didn't know how much more until I got back to the shop and looked up the price in a supply catalog.
In the past, I have bought the remaining inventory from shops that went belly-up.
I told them up front that I wasn't interested, unless I could get a REAL bargain. Some of them took me up on it, some didn't.

CKKC

November 01, 2010, 05:47:00 am #28 Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:50:53 am by CKKC
I just wanted to thank bobbin, mike8560, gene, lilsuz, stitcher_guy, Darren and sofadoc for their kind
words.  I think this is the kindest group I've ever been associated with.

QuotePlease try to find some comfort in the fact that your dog lived a full, happy life. The vast majority of dogs die from euthanasia, disease, or starvation. You can honor your pooch's memory by making sure that at least ONE MORE dog doesn't die that way.

We are going to do just that in a couple months.  Thanks!

wind_rose_2

Ther comes a time to us all when we have more dead friends than live friends..l feel that is my situation after just loosing my Mother last Sept.
Funny thing about it is that the fewer Friends we have the more we appreciate them.
To all my Friends ..four and two legged...in the present and the past....thanks.
Dave