Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 09:17:54 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Just got a new Harbor Freight Spray Gun for glue...need some advice!

Started by hdflame, October 26, 2010, 12:02:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hdflame

Hey everybody!  Haven't been reading on here as much lately.  Been fighting laptop troubles, but have it back up and running now!

I just got a new paint spray gun on sale at Harbor Freight and want to get away from using those expensive aerosol cans of glue.

Since I'm not a high volume glue user, I was hoping that I could buy one glue to cover most projects and just leave it in the glue gun.

I will be gluing foam, vinyl, and maybe some applications like headliners, so I need high heat resistance.  I'm thinking either Weldwood or HH66 for all of my jobs.

Anyone have a preference for these two glues?  Am I on the right track with my choices?  Any other recommendations or specific glues that you'd recommend?  Any specific Weldwood product?

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

SHHR

Bobby, Weldwood is probably your best choice. It is pretty much all purpose and was designed for vinyl tops so it'll hold anything. I use HH66 with the brush in can for just when I need to bond vinyl to vinyl. Sure, there are other glues for specific purposes like foam bonding or light fabrics, but if I only had one to use it would be the Weldwood.
As for your gun it should work fine to keep the glue in, but if it will set idle for some time I would plug the vent hole in the top of the cup or your glue will start to dry out. Also, keep the air cap and nozzle clean by soaking it from time to time in laquer thinner. Keep your air pressure under 40lbs. too or the glue will cobweb or splatter out in globs.
  I'd keep the fluid control wide open and regulate your air pressure and fan control for fluid delivery too, just remember for fabrics to keep a dry spray and let it dry to the touch or the glue may bleed through.
Kyle

hdflame

Kyle,

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions.  The vent on this one has a clear plastic hose that just loops around and points downward back towards the cup and plugs into the top bracket.  I guess I could pull the plastic hose and stick something in it??  Not sure what would be the best fit?  Any suggestions?

Here's a picture of the gun:

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

SHHR

I'd just pull the hose off and stick a small screw in the hole, it's easiest. or get a small rubber vacuum cap (to cap off vac lines on a car) and stick over the stem coming out of the cup lid (just be careful there is no glue on it).

As a matter of fact after using it a while you may find it's easier to use if you just remove the vent tube. Those guns are copies of the old Binks #7 guns which are excellent paint guns for cars. Binks use to not use that tube but started and advertised it as "drip proof"
The problem is your glue is thicker than paint and could very shortly plug that tube up if it's allowed to collect in there
Kyle

seamsperfect

I have that same gun and I spray glue usually once a month.  Seemed to start getting gummed up after about a year and the pattern was not consistent.  Could be from not plugging the hole, not really sure.   Instead of cleaning it I just threw it away and bought a new one.  At $15 on sale it is worth it to me.  I heard these are the way to go I just need to find non caustic tubing.
http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-spray-gun-kit-93312.html
Kevin

hdflame

Kyle,  I had not thought about the vacuum cap, good idea.  I had thought about just pulling off the tube, but I put a screw in it to block it off.

Kevin,  It's been discussed on here before about using a pressure pot like that.  Somewhere, I have the part numbers for the lines and fittings you need.  Don't have time to find them now, but will post later for you.

I tried it yesterday with some Weldwood I bought from Lowe's.  I could not get a very good pattern out of it.  It shot out globs more than a spray.  I used anywhere from 40-60 psi and played with both the pattern adj and the adj for amount.  About the same thing all the time.  I'm using more glue than I need and wasting it, any suggestions or ideas???

I thought about thinning with a little low odor mineral spirits.  The can says you can clean up with mineral spirits, so I thought about using some to thin with.  Has anybody ever thinned it out??  I actually sprayed some mineral spirits through it to clean it out and play with the pattern settings before putting glue in it.

I read there is a Weldwood formulated for spraying.  Is it thinner?  I got the original formula.  I also saw one that said it was thicker....can't remember the name, paste or something like that.

If anyone has some suggestions, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

SHHR

The weldwood from Lowes I believe is in a red can? and also I think says for counter top laminate. It's the same, but thicker. The stuff that works best is sold only at trim suppliers and is in a blue can that says Landau Top Adhesive it sprays great if the gun is set up right. A caution though if you leave the lid cracked open a little bit it will thicken up and also may a little in your gun overtime (that's why you plug the air vent).
I had some thicken up on me before and I used a little laquer thinner and stirred it real good. It thinned it out enough to spray and worked good. Give what you have a try to thin out.
Kyle

seamsperfect

Quote from: hdflame

Kevin,  It's been discussed on here before about using a pressure pot like that.  Somewhere, I have the part numbers for the lines and fittings you need.  Don't have time to find them now, but will post later for you.

Yes thanks please do.  As far as your gun goes do the what the others suggested and get landau weldwood.  It's thinner and sprays well.
Kevin

hdflame

Quote from: Saddleman on October 30, 2010, 05:27:29 pm
Hose p/n in this thread.

http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=8368.msg67326#msg67326

Thanks Loren, I forgot you were the one that had posted it! ;D

Also, Thanks to the other suggestions about using the Landau glue.  I had noticed that one actually had written on the can that it was formulated for spraying.  I'll get that to use and in the meantime, I'll try thinning mine with a little mineral spirits.

When spraying the Landau formulation, does it come out in a fine mist like a spray can?  Depending on which spray can I get, sometimes it also comes out kinda spiderwebby.
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

seamsperfect

Thanks I will just move the info here......
Kevin

DEV H-1973-1  210006 BULK FLUID HOSE 3/8"(per ft.)  10 EA $1.70 $17.00
Can you use generic fittings?
DEV P-HC-4548  240035 HOSE CONNECTION(3/8" NPS F)  2 EA $7.20 $14.40

http://www.elliottequipment.com/devilbiss/devilbiss_hose_fittings.pdf

Saddleman

I'm using two pots with a different adhesive in each.  One for a high temp contact adhesive and it comes out rather splattered.  The other adhesive is DLT's Dugrip, which I used for bonding up foam.  It comes out more like a web pattern, buit real dependant on gun settings.

I do dump the air pressure off the pots when not using them.  Leaving pressure on seams to  cause the solvent to bleed off  and the adhesives get thick in the hoses.  No problems with the pressure off.

Loren