Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 08, 2024, 10:24:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Is there such thing as a foam 'chipper'

Started by Grebo, October 19, 2010, 04:18:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

My foam shop takes all sorts of foam back for recycling (clean and dirty), as long as I deliver it, which is not a problem.  Of course the foam manufacturer is local as well, which surely helps.  If they were importing the foam from afar I doubt I would be so lucky.

I discovered the foam chip insert pillows when I was re-doing my brother's sectional.  What a great way to do throws!  They actually keep their shape, unlike the fiberfill pillows that matt up and look like sh*t after the first month of use.

j

byhammerandhand

Of course you can't have pancakes without maple syrup.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

All this talk about saving foam scraps, combined with the thread about productive time over on the business side reminds me of my grandmother. Like most "Old-timer" upholsterers, she NEVER EVER EVER threw anything away.
She would take the old fabric that we stripped off a sofa, and sew it into bags to store scraps in. She actually had one bag just for storing scrap fabric to make more bags out of. She spent so much time doing totally un-productive stuff, it was no wonder it took her over 2 weeks to do one piece of furniture.
She was a deeply religious woman, yet she never attended church, because as she put it, "My ox is in the ditch".
She could have tripled her income just by concentrating on the job at hand, and not worrying about what to do with scraps.
So kids, the moral of the story is: Whatever you do with your foam scraps, do it quickly :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Did she have a shoebox labeled: "Pieces of string too short to keep?"

Quote from: sofadoc on October 20, 2010, 03:41:37 pm
All this talk about saving foam scraps, combined with the thread about productive time over on the business side reminds me of my grandmother. Like most "Old-timer" upholsterers, she NEVER EVER EVER threw anything away.
She would take the old fabric that we stripped off a sofa, and sew it into bags to store scraps in. She actually had one bag just for storing scrap fabric to make more bags out of. She spent so much time doing totally un-productive stuff, it was no wonder it took her over 2 weeks to do one piece of furniture.
She was a deeply religious woman, yet she never attended church, because as she put it, "My ox is in the ditch".
She could have tripled her income just by concentrating on the job at hand, and not worrying about what to do with scraps.
So kids, the moral of the story is: Whatever you do with your foam scraps, do it quickly :D
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison