Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 08, 2024, 09:01:12 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Wavey Piping

Started by SoInTrouble, October 16, 2010, 09:35:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SoInTrouble

I was searching through old topics and saw a thread about wavy piping on a long cushion.

I had this problem doing an inside panel on my car.  It was a white panel with two parellel strips of black piping running the length of the pannel.  My first attempt was wavy, and I had to rip it out, I then put a strip of double sided tape down on the seam allowance.  I used a metal ruler, and placed it at the edge of where I wanted the piping to go.  I used the ruler as a guide and lined up the piping, and pressed it down onto the tape.  It held long enough to sew the piping down, then I sewed the other side to the piping.  It worked well, and gave me a very straight piping.
8)

Highvelocity

It seems you have solved your own problem.  The only problem I had with piping is making sure it's not all twisted when you are feeding it, it doesn't want to lay nice.  Otherwise just make sure you cuts are straight as can be.  You will get better the more you do.  I am going on 3 years and I am learning on every project.

Ed
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

MinUph

If your taking the welt cord off the spool from the end this might be the problem. Make a rack so it unrolls off the spool. I find this makes for a smoother finish.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

stitcher_guy

the main reason for the waving is the underlayer of vinyl gets stretched as you're sewing. Then it contracts to it's regular size and bunches up the welting, making it wavey. You're helping to keep it all together in one package. If I am worried it warping, I use my industrial stapler and stable them together.